How to set up a VPN?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

Here's what I need. Connect to the main office (file server running OS 10.3.x) from a remote location (also running OS 10.3.x) for both file sharing and mail access (Mail server running on the same machine as File Server). The Office has a DSL connection that I plan on buying a Broadband Router/VPN Server/DHCP Server for. The remote location(s) may vary but the most important one has a Cable connection with a cable modem.

Do I need any additional software or hardware on the remote location? From looking around I see people using and selling VPN client software and hardware for 10.3. But isn't the client software built in (as long as you use PPTP or L2TP)? The Mac Help section on connecting to a VPN doesn't mention any additional hardware needed either.

Will I be able to handle any/all remote connections from various types of connections (dial up/dsl/cable, etc.)?

Do I even need the VPN server component on the Router to do what I want?

Thanks for the help.

-zip

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    Setting up the VPN server is probably going to be the toughest part of the equation, and thus the part that decides what route you go.

One thought before I continue: doesn't your mail server have a connection to the outside world? And then would it not be possible to simply use that connection to attach to things with secure protocols (IMAP over SSL, etc...).

If you do decide to go VPN here are a few notes:

Since you are looking at only a few nodes, I would look at OpenVPN. It is a bit easier to setup, but does not scale well to multiple clients (it is a more of a peer-to-peer system).

IPSEC is very secure, but still tough to setup (there are so many possibilities/settings).

PPtP is not quite as secure, but still "good enough". I am using a Devil-Linux box as a router/PPtP server, and it was easy to setup and get running.

PPtP and IPSEC are built into MacOS X 10.3, and are very easy to setup. There are a few wonky implementations (Cisco) that require special drivers.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    ziplocziploc Posts: 41member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

One thought before I continue: doesn't your mail server have a connection to the outside world? And then would it not be possible to simply use that connection to attach to things with secure protocols (IMAP over SSL, etc...).

So would I be able to file share over that? I'm not sure I understand.

Quote:

Since you are looking at only a few nodes, I would look at OpenVPN. It is a bit easier to setup, but does not scale well to multiple clients (it is a more of a peer-to-peer system).

So this would replace the router I was inteding to buy? The router would create the VPN tunnel for me and I don't think I'd need any additional software, or do I? I wanted to share the DSL to the network and therefore was buying a router anyway, I'd rather have a single solution than a hardware/software soltuion.

thanks,

-zip