Apple or ...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple's wireless bluetooth mouse is amazing indeed, but I refuse to have to use the control button everytime i would like to right click. Is there any other way to right click with the apple wireless mouse? what do most apple users have? maybe a logitech or microsoft 2-button mouse?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I use the Apple Wireless Mouse. I also know all my keyboard shortcuts, so a fair amount of contextual menu commands are redundant for me. The rest, I just control click. Not a problem.

I have had multi-button mice but always go back to the TrackPad or Apple mouse.

The only other mouse I've used and liked was the Contour MiniPro.

http://www.contourdesign.com/minipro.htm

It is symmetrical, the 2nd button is behind the first. It's VERY nice to use on a portable.

It would be perfect if it was wireless and if the made multiple sizes.

I LOVE that little mouse.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    right click where? almost nothing on mac osx needs a right click. like the bar at the bottom of the screen, you can click and hold for about 2 secs and it'll act as if it was right clicked.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

right click where? almost nothing on mac osx needs a right click. like the bar at the bottom of the screen, you can click and hold for about 2 secs and it'll act as if it was right clicked.

Yeah, "click and hold" is such a great concept.

Unfortunately it is not system wide and rarely available.

And FinderPop is not being made for Mac OS X nor will it ever be apparently.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    mordakmordak Posts: 168member
    The dock is the only place click and hold works. Trust me--im fully aware of that. I was thinking more like the delete, copy, paste, etc on the right click. Those are fast, simple features that I like to have.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mordak

The dock is the only place click and hold works. Trust me--im fully aware of that. I was thinking more like the delete, copy, paste, etc on the right click. Those are fast, simple features that I like to have.

My job requires a lot of copy and paste, nothing is easier then assigning a button to each action. I use a Logitech MX500. Both thumb buttons copy/paste respectively its great. Faster then using the keyboard.

You would have to either use a multi-button (mine has 8 ) mouse or change your workflow to use menus and key commands.

Know there is a BT version of my mouse, but I've heard mixed results since Logitech doesn't officially support it in Mac OS X.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    If you use Maya, Shake, FCP, or any real software you'll need a 3 button mouse. It's hard to believe that Apple has not made a 3 button mouse yet, but I use a kensington Studio Mouse (2nd Mouse), and a Wacom 5 button with scroll wheel. You absolutely need a 3 button mouse in todays world of computing IMO. Luckily they are cheap enough that it's not that big of a deal, because people would be biaching about that too.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    mordakmordak Posts: 168member
    See i completely agree with you. I don't understand how people operate with one button when there are so many functions now a days that require more than one button to perform them. if we were using DOS or win32 maybe one button but this is OSX (and maybe even XP), 2 button min. is a must
  • Reply 8 of 15
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Actually, every single action in MacOS X should be accessible though a single button mouse. Not even ctrl-click is necessary, or shouldn't be.

That's the whole *reason* behind shipping a one-button mouse. (We just need to put this in a FAQ.) Developers *cannot* assume that more than one button exists on their user's computer, therefore they *HAVE* to make every single action available through single-button use *only*. This is called a good thing. Any other access through right-click, 3rd button, scroll wheel + 5th button + shake your left leg for three seconds might be provided as a convenience, but *every* action has to be findable and usable through a single-button model.

Why? Nothing is hidden from the user that way, and everything is *discoverable* in an easy manner. This encourages users to play around and see what they can see. Throwing everything into a contextual menu that changes on a regular basis (see Windows) doesn't lend itself to a clean cognitive model for the user. The contextual menu should definitely be intelligently populated and hold useful items, but it should *only* be used for efficiency and convenience, much like command key combos. No MacOS X application should ever be *solely* keystroke driven (with the exception of obvious things like games), and likewise, no application should have its functionality hidden where it can't be found by simply mousing around and clicking on things.

And the only way to *enforce* this mentality in the developers is to make them *never* able to assume that their user has a multiple button mouse.

As was said before, everyone has their own idea of how many buttons they need, and mice are so bloody cheap that it's usually a drop in the bucket. Not to mention that most folks have a 'favorite mouse' that they migrate from old computer to new one... Any attempt Apple made to produce the One True Multi-button Mouse would be met with most people *STILL* not happy with it. "Only two buttons?!? I need three!" "Only three buttons?!? I need five!" "Where's the scroll wheel!?" "I'll never use the scroll wheel!!" etc, etc, etc. Best to ship what is the default for everyone, what has been demonstrably shown to be the simplest new user approach, and what enforces developers to stick to basic usability design rules. Everyone needs a different type of mouse, and they're cheap.

Let 'em stick with the one button mouse. It's the simplest solution to the larger issue.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    I love my bluetooth one button mouse... though I wish it had a scroll wheel
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Right Kickaha, the only thing I would like to see Apple offer is a multi-button mouse with either their top-tier machines or software as a BTO option. They don't need to design one per-say, but offer one when people build their machines. "Oh you select an app that requires multi-button mouse, you would be interested in X mouse". Etc.

Other then that it is important to ship a one-button. That was weird when I switched back in 2001, but I've grown accustom to using any mouse setup. At home I use an 8-button, at work a one button, both Macs.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    But the thing is, Kickaha, that although every command is accessible without right clicking, the ability to right click makes everything a whole lot easier.

BTW, I have a logitech, too, and having a button mapped to 'Close Window' (CMD-W) saves a lot of time.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

But the thing is, Kickaha, that although every command is accessible without right clicking, the ability to right click makes everything a whole lot easier.

You're right, it does. I have a multi-button mouse myself.

But the point is that it is *EASIER*, not *REQUIRED*.

You want to see the hell that can happen, go take a look at the X11 based UIs out there... Motif in particular. *shudder* You think Windows is bad? Oh my dear lord. I've seen actions in Motif apps that were accessible *ONLY* through selecting a particular item with the third button, then bringing up a contextual menu. Select it with the first or second button? Nope, sorry. That particular action didn't show up in the contextual menu. It is *hell*, I tell you... *HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL*! *ahem*

Developers (and I include myself in this) are a lazy bunch. We'll get away with whatever we can. "Oh heck, just put it on the right-click menu for now, we'll figure out where it goes later..." -> it never does. Forcing developers to design systems, from the start, with discoverability in mind is essential to keeping a system that's easy to use and easy to learn. Allowing them to add in efficiencies keeps them scalable for power users. You have to have both. Luckily, we do.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Motif!? [Sniff sniff]

Still want to pick up an SGI to completement my Macs. Yeah I know, I have issues 8)
  • Reply 14 of 15
    resres Posts: 711member
    Right I have comp USA a 5 button + scroll-wheel optical mouse attached to my Mac. A one button mouse is a dinosaur, most of the Mac users I know switched to a multi-button scroll wheel mouse (or a track ball) years ago.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by IonYz

Motif!? [Sniff sniff]

Still want to pick up an SGI to completement my Macs. Yeah I know, I have issues 8)

I want one too. And a cheap laptop for me to hack around in Linux. Pretty much something to force me to brush up on my Unix skills. We should start a club.