Popping sound from Rev. C iMac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My Rev. C iMac started making popping, snapping, and crackling sounds this morning (I wasn't having Rice Krispies while at the computer so I'm sure it was the iMac.) and continued making these sounds throughout the day. Every time this happened the monitor also twiched. Then this evening it made a couple sounds and then abruptly lost power. It doesn't start up when pressing the power-on button. Power Supply, maybe? Any other ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    kjm1863kjm1863 Posts: 20member
    I you have a stick of memory around, replace what you have in the iMac currently and see if that cures the problem. I had an iMac 400 DV last month with similar problems, pulled the memory replace the memory with new, same type memory and problem was cured. My iMac would start up with what sounded like blown speakers, started to boot, then screen went blank and then nothing. Replaced memory, everything work like clockwork...
  • Reply 2 of 2
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    also, I would pull the HDD if any data you need is on there (and you made the fatal error of not backing up at the first sign of danger)

also, try the HW test cd, it may clue you in, and from now on you should, at the first sign of trouble, stop back up and trouble shoot

when the computer gets screwy remember:

Stop,

Backup then

Troubleshoot