my dilemma

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Im a PC user who recently decided to make the switch to mac. Up until recently my choice was between getting the G5 1.6ghz and the 1.8ghz, and I was planning on going with the 1.8ghz, because its a dual processor. But then the other day they released the 2.5ghz and got rid of the 1.6ghz and all the prices went down. Now the 1.8 is the price of the 1.6 and the 2.0ghz is the price of the 1.8ghz. So this brings me to my problem... I can now afford the 2.0ghz G5, but the 1.8ghz is now much cheaper.

These are my 2 system choices...

1)

? Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5

1GHz frontside bus/processor

512K L2 cache/processor

? 1GB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2x512 (Expandable to 8GB SDRAM)

? 250GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm

? ATI Radeon 9600 XT w/128MB DDR SDRAM

? 8x SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

price: $2,770.00

------------------------------

2)

? Dual 1.8GHz PowerPC G5

900MHz frontside bus/processor

512K L2 cache/processor

? 1GB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2x512 (Expandable to 4GB SDRAM)

price: $2,200.00

The price difference is about $570. Now, is it worth $570 for 0.2ghz difference, 100MHz frontside bus/processor difference and the fact that the 2.0ghz is expandable upto 8gigs of ram as opposed to the 1.8ghz's 4gigs? Would the 0.2ghz and the 100mhz bus difference really make the computer all THAT much faster/perform better? And eventhough Im only starting out with 1 gig of ram, would 4gigs be enough to suffice in the future if I find 1 gig is not good enough?

I'm a graphic design student in college, who might do alittle film and alittle music, would the 1.8ghz (with what I listed) be more than enough power or is it worth the $570 to get the 2.0ghz? I have the money to spend on the 2.0ghz, but I don't know if I want to spend it, especially if 1.8ghz would be more than powerful enough for me and if the differences between the two is negligable and not worth $570. Thanks for your time.

-Jordan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JordanEatWorld

Im a PC user who recently decided to make the switch to mac. Up until recently my choice was between getting the G5 1.6ghz and the 1.8ghz, and I was planning on going with the 1.8ghz, because its a dual processor. But then the other day they released the 2.5ghz and got rid of the 1.6ghz and all the prices went down. Now the 1.8 is the price of the 1.6 and the 2.0ghz is the price of the 1.8ghz. So this brings me to my problem... I can now afford the 2.0ghz G5, but the 1.8ghz is now much cheaper.

These are my 2 system choices...

1)

? Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5

1GHz frontside bus/processor

512K L2 cache/processor

? 1GB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2x512 (Expandable to 8GB SDRAM)

price: $2,770.00

------------------------------

2)

? Dual 1.8GHz PowerPC G5

900MHz frontside bus/processor

512K L2 cache/processor

? 1GB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2x512 (Expandable to 4GB SDRAM)

price: $2,200.00

The price difference is about $570. Now, is it worth $570 for 0.2ghz difference, 100MHz frontside bus/processor difference and the fact that the 2.0ghz is expandable upto 8gigs of ram as opposed to the 1.8ghz's 4gigs? Would the 0.2ghz and the 100mhz bus difference really make the computer all THAT much faster/perform better? And eventhough Im only starting out with 1 gig of ram, would 4gigs be enough to suffice in the future if I find 1 gig is not good enough?

I'm a graphic design student in college, who might do alittle film and alittle music, would the 1.8ghz (with what I listed) be more than enough power or is it worth the $570 to get the 2.0ghz? I have the money to spend on the 2.0ghz, but I don't know if I want to spend it, especially if 1.8ghz would be more than powerful enough for me and if the differences between the two is negligable and not worth $570. Thanks for your time.

-Jordan

you'll be fine with the 1.8 Up until now I've been doing vidoe on a 800Mhz eMac.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Go with the 1.8ghz and put the $570 towards a nicer monitor or some software...don't underestimate what a larger workspace does for your performance and enjoyment. LCDs are much easier on the eyes long term, so a 17" Studio Display with 1280x1024 for $699 is a great buy. Flicker free, less radiation than a CRT, crisp display.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    I would also go with the 1.8 and spend the extra money on the display - I think the $500 off the 232" display is still in effect. I would also get Apple Care - it's paid off for me in the past.

From my experience you'll also be spending money on other things, from iPod & iSight to various bits of software - plus , of course, what you spend at The Music Store. Very seldom does a week go by that I don't spend some money related to my new PB. At lease the retired 667 PB isn't costing me anything!

Good luck and have fun!
  • Reply 4 of 24
    k thanks. what exactly is apple care and what does it cover?

-Jordan
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Posted by kenaustus

"I think the $500 off the 232" display is still in effect."

But how much does the 232" display cost?

Sorry, couldn't resist!
  • Reply 6 of 24
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I worked on an 132" display once. . .

5900 x 2900, 50dpi
  • Reply 7 of 24
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I am against Apple's 17" LCD. It's such a rip off.

Go for either Samsung or LG if you are in the market of 19" or smaller LCD.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

k thanks. what exactly is apple care and what does it cover?

-Jordan

It's an extended warranty for your computer... extends warranty from 1 year to 3 years, and phone support from 90 days to 3 years.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/
  • Reply 9 of 24
    You said the magic word: Student. Check out the Apple Student discount. Or you can look at the refurbs.

I'd go with a refurb 1.8 ($1799 when they have some) or new 1.8 ($1799 student) and save the cash.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    resres Posts: 711member
    I'd go with the 1.8 -- I just don't think that the dual 2 GHz is worth an extra $570. But as CodeWarrior said, check out the student discounts at the online store (they are really quite nice).
  • Reply 11 of 24
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    I would also suggest going with the dual 1.8, but for graphic design and video work I would still recommend against buying an LCD display. CRTs are still the best choice for color fidelity and displaying video. I'd recommend getting a decent 19" monitor [workspace] *and* a second cheap 15" monitor [application palettes]. Apple's vid cards are all dual monitor capable AFAIK. Also, I'd recommend buying your additional ram from someone other than Apple. You can get it much cheaper going 3rd party.

Cheers,

C.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    3.14163.1416 Posts: 120member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

I would also get Apple Care - it's paid off for me in the past.

I often get angry responses when I say this, but I recommend against AppleCare. Extended warranties are a huge profit center for the seller, which means they're a loser for the buyer.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Hmmmmmm let's see. I'd probably

Buy the Dual 1.8Ghz model $1799 edu

Upgrade to the 9600xt- $ 50

Add 512MB DDR 3rd party $ 160 (two 512 modules)

add 200GB SATA Drive $ 130

That gives me a total of $ 2139

almost a $100 under What Apple charges but I have 280 GB total and over a GB of RAM. The savings pay for half of Applecare if you want it.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Hmmmmmm let's see. I'd probably

Buy the Dual 1.8Ghz model $1799 edu

Upgrade to the 9600xt- $ 50

Add 512MB DDR 3rd party $ 160 (two 512 modules)

add 200GB SATA Drive $ 130

That gives me a total of $ 2139

almost a $100 under What Apple charges but I have 280 GB total and over a GB of RAM. The savings pay for half of Applecare if you want it.

thanks. where do you get the third party memory and the third party hard drive from?

-Jordan
  • Reply 15 of 24
    www.newegg.com

The memory was Corsair...decent stuff. There's cheaper memory available as well.

The 200GB drive is a Maxtor SATA with 8MB cache.

Not that I don't like seeing Apple make money when you think about it you could yank the 2 128MB dimms ebay them and replace with another two 512 sticks and you'd have 2GB for barely more than the stock Apple config.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    By the time you outgrow the 1.8, there will be something WAAAY better than a 2.0 available to replace it

Assuming the 1.8 lasts you a few years or more (it should), there MIGHT even be a 3.0 G5 available by then !
  • Reply 17 of 24
    what if i bought the memory from crucial is it first of all cheaper, but more importantly is it good quality or which would be better quality memory crucial or newegg? thanks.

-Jordan.

ps- apple is having a 'free 2nd day shipping sale' shouldi take advantage of this?
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:

what if i bought the memory from crucial is it first of all cheaper, but more importantly is it good quality or which would be better quality memory crucial or newegg? thanks.

-Jordan.

ps- apple is having a 'free 2nd day shipping sale' shouldi take advantage of this?

Crucial is fine. Just make sure it's a 184pin PC3200 DIMM and you should be fine.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    ... and this may have been obvious to you, but it wasn't to me. Note that your ram needs to be installed in pairs.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by SharkBait

... and this may have been obvious to you, but it wasn't to me. Note that your ram needs to be installed in pairs.

what do you mean by 'in pairs'?

-Jordan