FTP Upload using just a browser on PC ...but not Mac :(

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
i'd like to give my mac clients a way to ftp upload files just using a browser like Internet Explorer, Netscape, Safari, Whatever...

on a PC you can just drag and drop files onto the browser window after logging in through a ftp URL.

but not on a Mac. grr.

anyone have a Browser Base Upload solution for Mac???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Um, you can use the terminal. . .

Otherwise, just use Go->Connect to Server in the Finder, and copy in the FTP address.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Um, you can use the terminal. . .

Otherwise, just use Go->Connect to Server in the Finder, and copy in the FTP address.

finder's ftp is about as good at transferring files as my car is at attracting girls.

i drive a dented 1993 chevy lumina with a missing window.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    As long as Classic is installed they can use Netscape 4.x. Only cross-platform browser I know of with that ability. Otherwise you need to use Finder FTP (yuck), Terminal (hmm) or a dedicated client (yup).
  • Reply 4 of 7
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Learn php. FTP upload via browsers (web forms) is easy. I'll even post code if you are interested.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

finder's ftp is about as good at transferring files as my car is at attracting girls.

i drive a dented 1993 chevy lumina with a missing window.

It's not any worse than Explorer at doing the same thing.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    bluesignsbluesigns Posts: 315member
    1337_5L4Xx0R

Quote:

Learn php. FTP upload via browsers (web forms) is easy. I'll even post code if you are interested.

YES! that was my very next thought.

if you've got code you could post - that would rock - PLEASE POST IT! thank you.

IonYz\t: RE: Netscape 4.x. :

i had heard that too & i tried that but the login failed every way that i tried it. [i know my login was correct as i could login with Internet Explorer - but not upload.] anyway it's not viable for my OSX clients - but thank you.

Splinemodel: using "Terminal" is not an option for those clients who are terrified of the command line. but i will check out using Finder>Go>Connect to Server - as a last resort {dispite progmac's most humorous caveat}.

but i'd like to set up something that is ridiculously easy for the client and idiot-proof and does not require them to know or do anything that they don't already know or do.

i like the PHP form. that sounds right to me.

hey Apple, how about Safari doing FTP via browser !!!???!!!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    enderender Posts: 353member
    Browsers are designed to let people look at webpages. You could argue that the Finder is supposed to let people browse through volumes of any time (local or remote), but I tend to lean more to just local volumes.

Use a FTP program to manage files over FTP. Transmit is my favorite. It does what it is designed to do well, and doesn't bother with features that don't belong. http://www.panic.com/transmit/

Otherwise I vote for the PHP solution. Back in the day, I used Tango 2000 to do something similar, and it was well received.

-Ender