iTunes trainwreck

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have had no trouble burning music from iTunes to a CD using

Roxio before today ... now, when I drag music files into the appropriate window, I get icons that appear to be QT icons and not the familiar iTunes icon. When they all get burned to a CD, only those with the iTunes icon will play .. the rest won't. Anyone else notice this? I have iTunes 4.6

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    As of iTunes 4.5, and I think more importantly the version of QuickTime that went along with it (6.5? 6.5.1?) third party apps lost the ability to decode protected iTMS purchases -- for burning CDs, or for things editing audio as well.

I became a bit grumpier about the iTMS DRM (digital rights management) at that point. As DRM goes, iTMS has, or had, fairly reasonable restrictions, but it's starting to turn sour as far as I'm concerned.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    what kind of music are you trying to burn?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

As of iTunes 4.5, and I think more importantly the version of QuickTime that went along with it (6.5? 6.5.1?) third party apps lost the ability to decode protected iTMS purchases -- for burning CDs, or for things editing audio as well.

I became a bit grumpier about the iTMS DRM (digital rights management) at that point. As DRM goes, iTMS has, or had, fairly reasonable restrictions, but it's starting to turn sour as far as I'm concerned.

if anything, they've improved. at least now i can use my purchased songs in my iLife stuff.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

what kind of music are you trying to burn?

I am burning music I downloaded from iTunes Music store ... go figure. Any assistance you can provide is appreciated. This problem just started with 4.6 as I've never had a problem prior to this update.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckStJohn

I am burning music I downloaded from iTunes Music store ... go figure. Any assistance you can provide is appreciated. This problem just started with 4.6 as I've never had a problem prior to this update.

So you had 4.5 and didn't have any problems burning with Toast then, or did you skip over the 4.5 update?

Have you used Hymn to strip copy protection? If you have, iTunes 4.6 does have some code that interferes with Hymn-converted files.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    you should use hymn to de-DRM the purchased files... then burn the new file using Toast...

I would still keep the original in iTunes tho...
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

you should use hymn to de-DRM the purchased files... then burn the new file using Toast...

I would still keep the original in iTunes tho...

• Reply 8 of 8
    I found out from Apple help that we need to burn iTunes Store purchased music from within the iTunes program it self... some sort of piracy protection now built in to the newest iTunes version...tried it...it worked fine...

Thanks to all that responded

Chuck StJohn