Can't movie itune xml & data files

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I bought an external hardrive and have moved my Photo,Movie & Music folders from my home folder to this external hardrive. Problem is that regardless of the steps I have taken such as this http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93068 and others, a music folder in my home folder will reappear each times iTunes has been opened;containing the itunes data file and xml file. What am I doing wrong? How can I migrate all appropriate files regarding iTunes to my external hardrive so that this folder does not reappear in my home directly. It's really pissing me off. All help appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by doyal

I bought an external hardrive and have moved my Photo,Movie & Music folders from my home folder to this external hardrive. Problem is that regardless of the steps I have taken such as this http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93068 and others, a music folder in my home folder will reappear each times iTunes has been opened;containing the itunes data file and xml file. What am I doing wrong? How can I migrate all appropriate files regarding iTunes to my external hardrive so that this folder does not reappear in my home directly. It's really pissing me off. All help appreciated.

I did this not too long ago.

Dump your ENTIRE Music folder from your old computer (computer A) to the External.

Make sure no music is in your Music folder on computer B.

REPLACE the XML File and "iTunes Music" (and those other couple of files) on B with A's.

*Dont actually replace the 'Music' folder

Open iTunes

Consolidate library.

if that doesnt work, completely reinstall iTunes on B, but perform the previous steps BEFORE you open it up for the first time.

When i did this i got my music, playlists, play counts, ratings, everything.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    doyaldoyal Posts: 72member
    After you did all this did a music folder still reside in your home folder on your internal drive? See I've got all my playlists and everything but the damn xml & data files are just on my internal drive.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by doyal

After you did all this did a music folder still reside in your home folder on your internal drive? See I've got all my playlists and everything but the damn xml & data files are just on my internal drive.

I believe those two files have to be where they are. Otherwise the integration between iTunes and the rest of iLife will break. Just forget about 'em.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Or, you could just move the folder to the external drive, and make an alias to it where iTunes expects it to be... then it'll work with all the other iLife apps too.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    doyaldoyal Posts: 72member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Or, you could just move the folder to the external drive, and make an alias to it where iTunes expects it to be... then it'll work with all the other iLife apps too.

Tried that. I just get the aias and a fresh baked copy of the music folder once iTunes has been opened once more.