Unexplained Mac OS 10.3.4 Crash

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone out there has experienced total freezes of the whole system that can only be fixed with a hard shut down and re-boot.

Both my Dad and I have had these mysterious crashes and I'm not sure what is causing it.

I keep my dad's computer up to date so we both got the same versions of everything. We have MAC OS 10.3.4, iTunes 4.6 etc.

I dodn't think it's the computer. My Dad has 17" iMac 1.25 G4 with only 256 MB Ram, so I thought it could be low ram problems (he's still to get more RAM) but while 256 MB is low it's should be OK for his uses.

I have 15" powerbook 800 G4, 512 MB Ram - and it started happening to me too.

"Run for the hills we have a virus in our system!" well thats what i feel like screaming.

But it will be interesting to see if other people have been lucky enough to experience this brick wall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    what brick wall?

seriously... give examples...
  • Reply 2 of 6
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    My dad had a similar problem for about a year with 10.2. It seemed to have started with the installation of the HP scanner software and no number of updated, permission repairs, memory replacements, modem card replacement made a difference. He would have about 1-2 freezes per week.

We recently got 10.3 and did an archive-install. We hadn't done this previously as he wasn't sure how to recover from this if anything went wrong and I live across the country.

This has cured everything. My assumption is that some core piece of the system got changed/corrupted originally and only the 'clean' install of the archive-install process fixed it. I would highly recommend this, especially if you have fooled around at the UNIX level installing UNIX packages.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    maritziomaritzio Posts: 31member
    The whole computer freezes dead. I have to hold the power button to shut down and then re-boot.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    WHEN!! WHAT DID YOU DO? on startup?

the lack of detail here really makes it hard to help ....
  • Reply 5 of 6
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I've gotten these as well for quite a while. Unfortunately I had them on my iMac and still get them on my G5. My G5 hard drive ultimately crashed so hard the whole thing was lost (because of all the hard reboots) and I'm still freezing on my third fresh install. This one has no special software installed as of yet but still freezes.

Different hardware, different installs, same symptom.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Maritzio

But it will be interesting to see if other people have been lucky enough to experience this brick wall.

You don't provide details about your problem. By the way, do you mean what is well documented here?