Any way of changing WMA to mac usable

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
hey just wondering if there is any way to convert my old wma files to aac or what ever mac uses, this is really annoying coz im having to find my old cds and burn them again???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ericgericg Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dkhazenirad

hey just wondering if there is any way to convert my old wma files to aac or what ever mac uses, this is really annoying coz im having to find my old cds and burn them again???

Found this one on versiontracker:easyWMA

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/23003
  • Reply 2 of 7
    iTunes for windows does this, I'm guessing if you have lots of WMA files then you have access to a Windows PC.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    doesn't iTunes 4.5(mac and windows versions) allow for .wma conversion?

like, you can't actually import a .wma, but you can convert it to .mp3 or .aac and then have it import.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

doesn't iTunes 4.5(mac and windows versions) allow for .wma conversion?

like, you can't actually import a .wma, but you can convert it to .mp3 or .aac and then have it import.

only the windows version will convert from WMA to AAC
  • Reply 5 of 7
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    I had the same problem about a month ago... Being a Mac user, iTunes wouldn't convert, so I used easyWMA from version tracker, worked like a treat.

iDunno
  • Reply 6 of 7
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dkhazenirad

It might be annoying, but re-ripping your old CDs will give you much better sound quality that taking a lossy compressed format like WMA and converting it into another lossy compressed format like AAC.

When you convert lossy formats, which involves decompressing from one format and recompressing into another, there is a digital version of generational loss, akin to what happens in the analog world when you copy, say, a cassette tape to another cassette take. The digital version of generational loss can sound even worse than a cassette copy of a cassette, however.

If you can't get a hold of the original CDs to re-rip, at the very least increase the bit rate you're using... go from, say, 128 WMA to 192K or 256K AAC. If you convert 128K WMA to 128 AAC, it's gonna be ugly.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    thank you to all that have helped me out, that program worked a treat