Which button turns off the "Idiot proof" Features?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I absolutely love OS X, but one thing really pisses me off. Its too idiot proof in many aspects. Like every time i want to change a file extension, for instance, the finder keeps throwing a dialog at me asking if i really want to do this. or if im in text edit and im coding up some html, i try to save it as a .html/.php/.cgi and it asks me if i want to append a .txt to it. and iphoto, i click the checkbox saying delete origionals after importing, and what does it do? asks me anyways. Why isnt there a setting so that i can tell OS X that im not stupid and i do know what im doing? am i the only one bothered by these things?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I don't think I've ever seen this in OS X. Right now I'm using my wife's Dell laptop because my Powerbook is down for wireless internet right now. Her Dell has XP loaded on it and it does that all the time. Driving me insane.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I don't think there is anything you can do about iPhoto (really all you have to do is hit enter anyway). But for the Finder there is possibly a hidden preference for that, though I sort of doubt it. Someone with some time an a strings log should check on that.

Don
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I've used the Finder optionalways show extensions (or something like that) and I don't get hassled about changing extensions, as far as I remember.

Your second problem can be solved by downloading SubEthaEdit to do your coding in rather than using TextEdit.

And finally, I don't know about iPhoto but you can often skip dialogs by using a key combination e.g. Command-delete in the Finder.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

I've used the Finder option always show extensions (or something like that) and I don't get hassled about changing extensions, as far as I remember.

Go to Finder's preferences, Advanced and check the Show all file extensions.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

I've used the Finder optionalways show extensions (or something like that) and I don't get hassled about changing extensions, as far as I remember.

thank you, that fixed it perfectly

im sure there is nothing that i can do about the iphoto problem, it just gets really annoying when i sit down and plug my camera in and get ready to transfer about 100 photos, click import, walk away, come back and realize i forgot to click "delete originals" on that damned dialog even tho i already clicked the checkbox saying i want them deleted.

im sure there are more annoying features that are there to protect users from themselves, but at the moment, i cant think of any more
  • Reply 6 of 11
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    You may want to use the Mac OS help. A lot of simple stuff is in there. Then you can get the answer right away and not have to wait for a reply on a forum.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    It's very annoying. Expecially since I don't want my files showing their extensions. I know their extensions, or what I want to use them for. It should have an option to have it not displayed in the future.

SubEthaEdit is better. I use BBEdit though...just like it better. SubEthaEdit is good if you are working on something with multiple people.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    You mean to not show extensions in Finder?

Finder -> Preferences -> Advanced Uncheck 'Show all file extensions'

Could it *BE* any easier?? Or obvious?

Does anyone else find it ironic that the original question was for a 'simple button' to turn off 'idiot proofing'? Ie, an idiot-level feature to turn off idiot proofing? Heh.

Use the MacOS X Help. Really.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    what im looking for is /not/ in the mac os help. what im asking for is that i not be warned like a 5 year old every time i try to change an extension, or erase the contents of a camera, specifically when I say that i want to. the bit about the extensions showing/not showing: he was saying that he wants to be able to change the extension and not get warned about it w/o having to make all extensions visible.

all im trying to say is that my life could be made simpler by having common warning dialogs have an option to not be displayed in the future, like how you can set the trash to not warn you when you empty it. it would get pretty annoying if it asked you every single time and there was no way to get around the warning, wouldnt it?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

I absolutely love OS X, but one thing really pisses me off. Its too idiot proof in many aspects.

Exactly.

This pisses me off big time, too. User interfaces lack a two level approach where you can go from simple options to advanced user mode. This really should be a system-wide settings that can be read by applications, so you don't have to set it again with each program.

However, this had been discussed back in the 7.x days, and I don't see it ever coming our way.

Windows XP is even worse, btw - popping up silly balloons every time I have installed a new program, connected an ethernet cable, etc. On the other hand, MS provides a haxie to turn it off.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    You think that's bad? Every try opening files on remote ftp servers mounted in finder? It first warns you that you are opening a file on a remote server. Then you know what happens? It asks you the same thing again. WTF?!