Formula 1 Racing

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I haven't seen much of it, probably because:

1) I live in the states

2) I don't get the Speed Channel

But yesterday I was at a friend's place, and I watched the US Grand Prix on the Speed Channel. Formula 1 is too cool. Those cars go really fast.

I co-founded a hi-tech company a year ago that designs/builds/sells cashless payment systems. Lately, we've been doing a lot of work for the International Speedway Corp, which runs most of the tracks in the United States. So far it has just been Indy and Nascar, but hopefully we can sell Indianapolis and make it to the US Grand Prix next year.

Indeed, I will be at the Pepsi 400. Not really into Nascar, but whatever. . . It's for business.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    I really used to like F1, but this year has been utter crap. Apart from yesterdays race, it has been sooo boring all season, and yesterdays race was exciting for all the wrong reasons.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarcUK

I really used to like F1, but this year has been utter crap. Apart from yesterdays race, it has been sooo boring all season, and yesterdays race was exciting for all the wrong reasons.

Perhaps, but for me it beats oval racing pretty much hands down.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    123123 Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Perhaps, but for me it beats oval racing pretty much hands down.

But then again, Laguna Seca beats every Formula 1 course easily.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by 123

No argument there. I love GT as well. . . . And Mazda Star series!
  • Reply 5 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    There was so much wrong with the US GP, I want to spit at it.

1) It's at the IMS. I detest King (Tony) George.

2) They allowed Montoya to race 58 laps in his back-up car before they black flagged him.

3) They continue to allow Schumacher to pull off the starting line with his signature swooping "I'm going to force the guys behind me to lift off the gas" blocking move.

4) After Monaco, the FIA decided to change the rules concerning pit stops and full course yellows. When a full course yellow is out, the pits close. They reopen when the safety car has successfully bunched up all the cars. Either this rule was not observed during the race or Ferrari ordered Barrichello to slow dow the rest of the field behind him while Schumacher got serviced in the pit. Under no circumstances should Schumacher have been able to emerge from the pit lane still in the lead.

5) Worst of all, the amount of time it took emergency workers to reach Ralf Schumacher was alarming. If the CART medical team took that long to reach Zanardi after his near fatal CART accident at Lausitz in 2001, he would have never survived.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 123

You can't really compare tracks like this. Laguna Seca is unfit for Formula 1 because of its rapid elevation changes. I love the new Bahrain track. I love Sepang. I love Interlagos.

My favorite track in the US has to be Road America (Elkhart Lake). It's 4 miles long and very fast. The facilities need to be updated though. The track itself has drainage problems and needs a few safety issues to be addressed. I like temporary tracks like the Burke Lakefront Airport layout too.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Thanks for the input Eugene. Now that I'm peripherally involved in the racing business, I'll keep alert for these races/tracks.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

My favorite track in the US has to be Road America (Elkhart Lake).

Spent a massive chunk of my childhood and teen years there, though I haven't been there in a looong time.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    And i'm pretty sure that IF anyone else had overtaked during the restart after the safety car, posting a time 0.00seconds over the car that was being overtaken, they'd have been bought in for a penalty