Powerbook 15" SuperDrive VS. Acer Ferrari 3200

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello,

Okay this is simple:

I'm going into university come september, and currently working my tail-off to finally get a laptop.

At first it was simple, MUST GET A POWERBOOK! (Since the school I will go to is strictly MAC based, G5 Units) And I wont settle for the cheap ones either... Here is the problem, a friend recommended the Acer Ferrari 3200, and as I looked into it, they're both relatively the same EXCEPT FOR THE PRICE! The powerbook is approx. $600 more...

Anyways, here are the two machines and their stats:

POWERBOOK 15" SUPERDRIVE 1.5GHz

-------------------------------

? 1.5GHz PowerPC G4 with 128MB Graphics Memory

? 512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 2x256 SO-DIMMs

? 80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400 rpm

? SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

? Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English

? AirPort Extreme Card

? 15.2-inch TFT Display

ACER FERRARI 3200

-----------------

? Processor Low-power mobile AMD Athlon? 64 processor 2800+

? Memory 512MB DDR 333 SDRAM (256MB/256MB)

? 80GB ATA/100 hard disk drive w/ DASP @ 4200 RPM

? Super Multi Write Plus (DVD -RW, +RW, -RAM) drive

? TFT Display 15.0" SXGA+ (1400 x 1050)

? Graphics ATI® MOBILITY? RADEON? 9700, 128MB DDR

? Connectivity 802.11b/g WLAN, Bluetooth?, Gigabit LAN

--

The type of work I do is visual design, Illustrator/Flash/Dreamweaver/etc.

and It's for four years, so in a year or so, I will upgrade the hard drive and ram in the machine to last me the rest of the time.

SO Which laptop is the better investment?

If I do get a powerbook, it will be my first Mac ever... I'm more comfortable with a PC for sure. But at the same time, it might be a good chance for me to get the learning curve in and be able to run on Macs just as I do on PCs.

I know most of you on here are Mac fans, but please do keep an open mind. Both these machines are ver similar, infact the Athlon 64 outperforms a G5 let alone a G4... but nevertheless, I wanted you guys to help me out. I DO NOT WANT TO MAKE THE WRONG CHOICE HERE! It simply goes down to overall pricing for me...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    While I can see your anxiety with regards to hardware, my ultimate revelation has been this....

If you have a particular software suite, or something that is only available on one platform that you are going to need, then the software determines the hardware purchase, everytime!

If the software you are looking to run is available on both platforms, then you have choices. If you are more familiar with one OS, then that may sway your purchase, price or upgradeability for others. I choose a Mac because of the bundled software, lack of viruses, and the beautifully designed OS. It suits me, and it "feels" like it was designed for me and not to make money.

In all, software dictates hardware purchase first, then your personal information...However, I highly recommend using both machines prior to purchase to feel and see the difference, and if at all possible run the applications that you will be using daily to see how they respond...You may also want to take a look at battery life!

Hope this helps out some!
  • Reply 2 of 25
    You bring out 2 very good points, Software & Battery life.

For the programs I will use (Design related) I can get on either platform no problem.

But I do DJ part-time and having a laptop to do it this time around would be perfect rather than a desktop. Last year I would have chosen the Acer since it's very easy for me to set-up a PC to my desires when it comes to live sets, as for now well I don't know how much DJ'ing I'll do this year, maybe even none. So practical uses of those programs might not even take place.

Battery, the acer is pure garbage for battery life. Since it's a killer Athlon 64, the battery only gets about 2.5 hours. Relatively speaking, a powerbook will last me a bus ride back and forth.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    i still think the powerbooks are where you can choose form over substance and not feel too bad......just look at one and compare it to the pc.....i mean....c'mon!

but seriously, whats the difference in size as well?
  • Reply 4 of 25
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Yes, it sounds like you will be moving around with it a fair bit. Weight becomes very important then.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Grafieks

. . . .

and It's for four years, so in a year or so, I will upgrade the hard drive and ram in the machine to last me the rest of the time.

Hahahahahahah.

Who has a computer for four years? Answer: nobody.

If you actually think you'll have it for four years, the Acer won't last that long.

Besides, if you're at all enterprising, DJ Laptop is a desired fellow in areas where people don't know better (college campuses). I know a guy who makes quite a bit of money from DJ Laptop. Indeed, he did well enough that he got some more DJ Laptops, and pays people to sit down and watch them while he does what little work is required from a remote location.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Any machine would last its user 3 years (with upgrades).

Pushing a fourth year would not be too far-fetched..

I'd rather make a purchase of another laptop at the end of the educational term.

*The Acer would/could last me more than the Powerbook since its CPU can be upgraded within time*

--

But I do agree with you, it's very little work to mix but most of what I do through-out my set is usually remixing tracks live, something extra to keep me busy. And it's not something a lot of people do but it is more work.

Size Difference>> I know that the powerbook is slimmer than the Acer. And having said that, moving around with the powerbook would be easier in terms of battery power and weight. In correspondance to the DJ part, I currently have an oxygen 8 which I take around with me if I'm composing or remixing live, so I have my mind set on the M-Audio Bag, it holds both a powerbook & the midikeyboard

I appreciate everyone suggestions, they've really helped me out. Also some people I know have been either telling me to stay with PCs and others telling me to push for a Mac. And I think I will go with the Powerbook, although it's more expensive, it's also a safer choice indeed. Since the school will do its tutorials on a Mac, and basically run itself on that image alone-- It would be smarter for me to go ahead an get the learning curve in now rather than regret it come next year or so...

Thank you once again to everyone, I'm also open to any further suggestions!
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Hahahahahahah.

If you actually think you'll have it for four years, the Acer won't last that long.

Besides, if you're at all enterprising, DJ Laptop is a desired fellow in areas where people don't know better (college campuses). I know a guy who makes quite a bit of money from DJ Laptop. Indeed, he did well enough that he got some more DJ Laptops, and pays people to sit down and watch them while he does what little work is required from a remote location.

???

My powermac g4 is going strong and i bought it in october 1999. It'll easily get me through to the next powermac revision. The performa 6360 served me well from the time i got it in 1996 till I got my powermac.

4 years is what I expect out of a computer.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    My Powermac 6100 was running perfectly intill lighting hit it. It would be running today and I wouldn't have my Powemac G4 400 Mhz.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Yeah... as Mac users I think we ALL have computers that CAN last 4 years and longer. \
  • Reply 10 of 25
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Mine would, if I could resist minor fiddling. Still the same computer, just all the bits have changed...
  • Reply 11 of 25
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    my iMac lasted me about 4 years before I got my powerbook 15" (sans superdrive)

Okay, I love my powerbook, it's the perfect notebook as far as I'm concerned, it's light enough, it's powerful enough, it looks amazing, the trackpad is EXCELLENT, it only has one button(on laptops I prefer one button clickers, two buttons often gets in the way of things for me) the screen is QUALITY, the backlit keyboard is pure techno sex.

there are only 2 issues with my powerbook, and unfortunately they are kind of serious.

1) the battery life - My 'book used to get 2-3 hours all the time, pretty swell, not 4.5 like apple advertises, but still, it was almost always enough to get by when I wanted to unplug. HOWEVER, one day, I think it's because I left the powerbook on the window sill in boston and extreme cold is really bad for lithium batteries, well, one day, my battery life cut in half, and it's been steadily getting worse and worse. I am lucky to get an hour an a half now, I usually get a little over an hour, sometimes less.! it's totally unacceptable, and now I have to get a new battery instead of more RAM

2) The power cord - ARGH! this is by far the worst. The power cord is shitty, the build quality is poor, and it's fairly fragile. Mine has been hanging on a thread(literally) for about a week now, it's VERY fragile and disconnects with the slightest touch. I taped it up pretty well and that has been a capable temp-fix until I can do something more lasting. But damn, it's annoying.

Obviously the power cord issue is partially due to my usage situations, more often than not I'm to the left of a power source, so my cable has to bend itself at the tip to orient itself to the source. If you will be using your powerbook mostly on a desk with the power source to the left of the powerbook, you most likely will not have any problems, BUT I would advise reinforcing(tape, glue, wire..etc.) the power cable as soon as you get it.

My buddy's power cable also broke last week, which is kind of ironic, he took some tape and some epoxy, pressed the wire together, made a loose bond with the tape, then filled it with epoxy, it's very solid now, and it works fine.

Okay, those are my grievances, Apple obviously sells replacement batteries, that will fix #1, they also sell replacement power cables which will fix #2, however, the power cables are ridiculously overpriced($80? wtf?) and they are crummy anyway and the batteries are also pretty darn expensive.

Aside from those two things, I *love* my powerbook. I have no experience with the ACER, it might be a fantastic notebook, but I don't intend to own a windows based computer any time soon.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    After two years I'm on my third power adapter. Apple said they'd give me a really hard time if I needed a fourth adapter-- something about abuse instead of a defect in the product. Well, they made the adapter more durable by beefing up the flexible part connecting the wire to the plug, so I hope I won't need another. AppleCare saved my ass more than a few times.

My battery can't hold a charge either. Looks like I'll need a new one if I want to actually use it for another two years-- which is the plan. Still, it's a snappy machine, and I intend to buy another PowerBook when I finish my degree.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

After two years I'm on my third power adapter. Apple said they'd give me a really hard time if I needed a fourth adapter-- something about abuse instead of a defect in the product. Well, they made the adapter more durable by beefing up the flexible part connecting the wire to the plug, so I hope I won't need another. AppleCare saved my ass more than a few times.

My battery can't hold a charge either. Looks like I'll need a new one if I want to actually use it for another two years-- which is the plan. Still, it's a snappy machine, and I intend to buy another PowerBook when I finish my degree.

that's bullshit, ive been through 2 power adapters and i basically only use my powerbook at a desk

apple needs to get a clue that their portable products have been absolute shit in the quality department
  • Reply 14 of 25
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    since the software you run is available on both platforms, i think you'll be happier on a mac, especially since your school will be all mac based.

check out the "special deals" section in the lower left column at http://www.apple.com/store and you'll find the 15" 1.5ghz powerbook for $2099. it is refurbished, but in my eyes, that is as good, if not better than new

i would avoid that Acer thing. there is nothing greater than a powerbook. seriously. plus, iTunes would be great if you do some DJing.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Nobody suggested an iBook?

-

IBOOK 14.1" SUPERDRIVE 1.2GHZ

-----------------------------

? 768MB DDR266 (256MB built-in & 512MB SO-DIMM)

? 60GB Ultra ATA drive

? SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

? AirPort Extreme Card

? Bluetooth Module

? Keyboard/Mac OS X - U.S. English

? 14.1-inch TFT XGA display

? 1.2GHz PowerPC G4

? ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 w/ 32MB DDR video memory

-

Would such an iBook as stated provide for my needs?
  • Reply 16 of 25
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    The G4 is not in the same league as the Athlon 64. If you want pure speed, go with the Acer.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

My Color Classic is sittin' next to me in my room being a jukebox.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    I'm a Formula 1 fan, so I was considering the Ferrari Acer before I decided on my 15" Powerbook. I'd never had a Mac before this, so it was a leap of faith for me. Since both the Ferrari and the Powerbook are awesome looking little machines, I'm assuming the aesthetic qualities of a notebook are pretty important to you. If so, I would recommend the Powerbook. The flow of the OS is so very natural and beautiful and easy to get along with. I have to use a PC at work every day and I'm always surprised by how ugly Windows is. It feels more like an appliance than a fun new piece of technology.

Basically, the beauty of the Acer is only skin deep. That red paint and mouse are gorgeous, but underneath it all is just a cold, ugly soul. Is that what you want to go home to everyday?
  • Reply 19 of 25
    lotharsnllotharsnl Posts: 113member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Grafieks

It simply goes down to overall pricing for me...

It's not easy for me to think this way, but if that last statement is true, then I think the PC is the best way for you to go. Especially since there is a chance you could end up like me, and never be able to consider a PC ever again. Personally, my relationships with Macs/computers is emotional. You could double the specs next to the PC, and cut the price in half, and I would not consider it.

Basically, by trying the Mac, you run the risk of being a Mac user for life.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LotharSNL

Basically, by trying the Mac, you run the risk of being a Mac user for life.

Oh the pain, the pain of it all!

Only thing to consider is speed over form. If speed is all you care about, go with the Acer. Even though I've never understood people that want speed, but buy a notebook. Laptops are for portability. Desktops for speed.