in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Here is the link.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    More info from C|Net:

http://news.com.com/Apple+sells+supe...l?tag=nefd.top

Quote:

Colsa will use Mac OS X as the primary operating system, though it will evaluate other options including Red Hat Linux and Yellow Dog Linux, Whitlock added.

MACH 5, which stands for Multiple Advanced Computers for Hypersonic, G5, will occupy 42 racks and 600 square feet of floor space, said Anthony DiRienzo, a Colsa executive vice president. Apple was the winning bidder among six companies, DiRienzo said, declining to name the competitors.

One difference between MACH 5 and System X is the networking system that connects the individual servers. Where System X used the high-speed InfiniBand technology, MACH 5 will use the more conventional 1 gigabit-per-second Ethernet, DiRienzo said.

The fluid dynamics simulations Colsa will run require more processor power than top networking speed, he said.

• Reply 2 of 10
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    I wasn't aware that RedHat ran on Power Macs. Can anyone confirm?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    So for like $40 million we could be number one? Nice.

On another note, sad that Apple can make one of the least expensive supercomputers yet makes some of the most expensive personal computers.

• Reply 4 of 10
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Apple+steve jobs+xserve=military contractor sales

Apple doing its part to defend the good ole' USA!!
  • Reply 5 of 10
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

On another note, sad that Apple can make one of the least expensive supercomputers yet makes some of the most expensive personal computers.

oh how true
  • Reply 6 of 10
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Oops, I actually meant for like around $15m we could be number one...

Even better...
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I'm hardly an expert, but I beleive these supercomputers don't scale in a linear fashion. There is increasing overhaed and lag time etc that makes adding more units less and less worth it. I have no idea what the formula is, but I'd guess we could never be number one until the Xserves have a much better chip in them.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    gavrielgavriel Posts: 175member
    Needless to say, this is good news. Having the U.S. Army buying into Xserve technology and running the hardware with Mac OS X will lend credability to Apple's solutions, and may help in its quest to make inroads in the government and corporate markets.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave K.

I wasn't aware that RedHat ran on Power Macs. Can anyone confirm?

isnt yellow dog based on red hat?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.