doing a disk check in OSX on HFS+ volumes

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Anybody running OSX with multiple partition harddrives? I have 4. The 1st one is the system bootup, so naturally only permissions can be checked. I can do a disk check/repair scan on the remaining partitions, except the one that holds all my applications and documents. It simply throws up a red flag and says, "could not unmount HD". I even tried it with all applications quit. What's the deal?

Also, what is up with my OSX partition that says it has to use some sort of new permission on xyz everytime, fixes it, but it still flags it the next time around?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    boot off the OS X install CD and repair the partitions from there...
  • Reply 2 of 8
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Good call! I'm doing that now, but that is kind of a pain in the a$$ if you have to shut everything down and reboot off a CD just to verify a disk, no? I do this [verify permissions and verify disk] on a regular (but not necessarily frequent) basis as a measure of problem intervention before they really become "problems", rather than waiting until a problem won't let you run at all. So I find this approach a bit awkward.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Well, I was able to verify all disks after booting from the installation CD, but the permissions issue remains.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Tried all manner of permissions checks. This thing just won't go away. Here is the exact message:

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util. New permissions are 33261

First off- who's "we"? Sounds like the Borg maintains my computer. Anyways, this will flash up everytime, it says it has fixed it, but it is still there if I verify again. Is this like "bundle bits" from OS9, where it may or may not affect computer operations, but occasionally a disk check utility will complain up and down about it with no logic in sight?

Another piece to the puzzle- I have a 2nd OSX installation on a different partition to boot to in the rare case the primary becomes unbootable. When checking permissions on that partition, it makes no such complaint. The difference between the 2 installations is that the one that complains has been kept up-to-date with the latest OSX updates, while the one that doesn't complain is the exact install right off the OSX disc. Is it possible the updates to 10.3.4 bungled something? Holla!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    I get that same message when verifying disk permissions, but I ignore it.

If you don't want to boot off the installation disk, you can boot in single user mode and do a disk verification from the Unix command line. Refer to the sticky on the top of this forum on how to do that.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    derevderev Posts: 64member
    I have a Pantherized Wallstreet G3 300 running with three partions, one with panther, one with OS 9.2 (native-not classic), and one as a scratch disk and have had no problems.

Have you tried fixing permissions using Cocktail or Onyx?

Onyx is free.

http://www.boostware.com/os/mac/onyx.html

Cocktail has a demo.

http://www.macosxcocktail.com/download.html

Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

Tried all manner of permissions checks. This thing just won't go away. Here is the exact message:

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util. New permissions are 33261

First off- who's "we"? Sounds like the Borg maintains my computer. Anyways, this will flash up everytime, it says it has fixed it, but it is still there if I verify again. Is this like "bundle bits" from OS9, where it may or may not affect computer operations, but occasionally a disk check utility will complain up and down about it with no logic in sight?

Another piece to the puzzle- I have a 2nd OSX installation on a different partition to boot to in the rare case the primary becomes unbootable. When checking permissions on that partition, it makes no such complaint. The difference between the 2 installations is that the one that complains has been kept up-to-date with the latest OSX updates, while the one that doesn't complain is the exact install right off the OSX disc. Is it possible the updates to 10.3.4 bungled something? Holla!

• Reply 8 of 8
    Thanks for the info!