Mac-friendly DVRs?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm looking for a DVR (hard-drive-based digital video recorder) that has connectivity to Macs. Hopefully that device can send MPEG files to my Mac, rather than in DV format. Do you know of any products like that?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Try Elgato or I think TiVO plays nice with Macs too (thought I can't find info on their site to confirm that).
  • Reply 2 of 14
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    http://www.tivo.com/4.9.4.1.asp

You can view photos and play music (no AAC support yet).
  • Reply 3 of 14
    nessness Posts: 14member
    Thank you,

I forgot to mention that I'm looking for a standalone DVR. That is,

one that doesn't require subscription and where the user has a privacy

about their viewing habits (because it's doesn't depend on a network).
  • Reply 4 of 14
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    HAHAHAHAHAH

build your own...
  • Reply 5 of 14
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Actually believe it or not ReplayTV has some decent mac connectivity via dvdarchive. Check them out as well.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    nessness Posts: 14member
    Does the recording feature of TiVo (or ReplayTV) work without subscription?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Try Elgato or I think TiVO plays nice with Macs too (thought I can't find info on their site to confirm that).

I want to record broadcast TV to my mac and edit into movies for burning to DVD and playing on an consumer DVD player. I have heard that El Gato doesn't play nice with iMovie, so I wonder if this is at all possible?

ALso, I am about to buy a 12" PB and I'd loe opinions on its adequacy for such a task.

ALso ALso, I want to bring this with me to Australia...

Any opinions?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ness

Does the recording feature of TiVo (or ReplayTV) work without subscription?

As Paul said above "hahaha build your own" - in other words no - no subscription (or 'lifetime payment' = $$$) no workey

Dave
  • Reply 9 of 14
    kapkomkapkom Posts: 12member
    Check out Formac. http://www.formac.com/
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by KapKom

Check out Formac. http://www.formac.com/

Can you import TV clips catured through Formac into iMovie, or will it require another piece of software?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Tivo is soon to release a new option for portable content viewing. You'll be able to take the shows from your Tivo and send them to your Mac for playback. The MAC is 'enabled' via a USB dongle (yellow, with a Tivo logo). This prevents pirating copyrighted content. It's a good solution and should be exactly what you're looking for.

Do a web search for more info and news about release.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    david rdavid r Posts: 135member
    If you purchase a Tivo/DVD player combo unit, you have access to Tivo Basic which is the free version of the Tivo service but with some limitations (example: program guide data only goes 3 days in advanced instead of 2 weeks)
  • Reply 13 of 14
    kapkomkapkom Posts: 12member
    Quote:

Originally posted by WaterTower

Can you import TV clips catured through Formac into iMovie, or will it require another piece of software?

I used the original FireWire Studio, and if I remember correctly it saved everything in DV format. Whether it was an S-video source or coaxial sp? from my cable box.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    hyperb0lehyperb0le Posts: 142member
    ReplayTV works really well, and you can retrieve videos from it using mReplay. Yes, mReplay's interface currently sucks, but I've sent the guy some interface mockups and graphics, and he's going to use them to make the app more OSX-ish.