iBook G4

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hey there guys,

gunna try to get the iBook G4. Im thinkin 12" w/ combo drive. Why? Well, i do like the size and i want to have the bucks to get some cool accessories...

TECH QUESTIONS

I'll hav to get the ibook itself, duh but also the airport extreme. I have a PC with AOL for broadband but the current router is a Belkin 802.11g...can i tap into that, or do i need the airport extreme system? I also have an HP laptop w/ an 802.11b chip. So what are some possible compatibility options?

Also, does the iSight work well on the laptops? They might be better on the desktops, i dk, but for those who hav them, are they pretty reliable?

How does the charge of the computer hold up? Will it really last 6 hrs, even like if u played a dvd or a game?

DUMB QUESTIONS

The game halo...will it work well on the G4? As far as playing on line as well? I hav a friend who coodn't get his to work on an old G3.

I have all of my itunes on the HP. Is there a way to send those to the new ibook, or from my iPod to the computer?

Thanks everyone,

-MM

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Masterman

I'll hav to get the ibook itself, duh but also the airport extreme. I have a PC with AOL for broadband but the current router is a Belkin 802.11g...can i tap into that, or do i need the airport extreme system? I also have an HP laptop w/ an 802.11b chip. So what are some possible compatibility options?

It should work just fine with your Belkin router, I don't see why there would be any problems as long as you have the airport extreme card in your iBook.

Quote:

Also, does the iSight work well on the laptops? They might be better on the desktops, i dk, but for those who hav them, are they pretty reliable?

Yep, works just fine on my 1 GHz 12" PB. Pretty reliable, more dependent on your internet connection speed, but I haven't had any problems.

Quote:

How does the charge of the computer hold up? Will it really last 6 hrs, even like if u played a dvd or a game?

Nope. 6 hrs isn't that realistic either... I'd guess probably closer to 4.5-5 in normal usage, maybe 3 if you're doing games/dvds.

Quote:

The game halo...will it work well on the G4? As far as playing on line as well? I hav a friend who coodn't get his to work on an old G3.

It may work okay if you turn some of the settings down... not too sure.

Quote:

I have all of my itunes on the HP. Is there a way to send those to the new ibook, or from my iPod to the computer?

You can get them from the iPod to your computer through various shareware utilities... do a search on VersionTracker or Macupdate for them.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    now what abt the airport express? cood that boost the signal of the belkin, or only the airport extreme?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ok nvm...i guess im not gettin the G4 after all...by any chance will there be a better, updated model say around Christmas time? just a thought...

and by then i think i'll have a little extra doe so i might be able to get myself a desktop too, do u guys like the iMac?

-MM
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Masterman

ok nvm...i guess im not gettin the G4 after all...by any chance will there be a better, updated model say around Christmas time? just a thought...

and by then i think i'll have a little extra doe so i might be able to get myself a desktop too, do u guys like the iMac?

-MM

It's reasonably likely that something would come around by then, it'd be a little over 6 months since the last iBook update at that point.

The iMac is arguably the worst value in the entire Apple lineup right now... however, with the impending new iMac rumors floating about surrounding WWDC, they could easily become a very good value.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    ok thanks

actually i may pass on the imac anyway, get some cool accessories or somethin

thanks again guys