iTunes like app for video files

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am a video buff. I have hundreds of movie clips in albums and in my own 'playlists'. Is there a splendid app out there which is a cool as iTunes but for videos instead? Would make sorting my favorite episodes, movies, and 'other' video files sooo much easier.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Cellulo. http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14041

However for full length movies, storage/file size still isn't realistic, that will be another 5 years at least. Then, we will have all our movies as well as music and pictures on our laptops or portable devices. When this time comes, I am sure Apple will add this functionality to iMovie.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    mpmoriartympmoriarty Posts: 289member
    I have heard some good things about iVideo...

http://www.waterfallsw.com/ivideo/

Mike
  • Reply 3 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I've never thought video needed organization like music does. Do you have thousands...even hundreds of video files?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I've never thought video needed organization like music does. Do you have thousands...even hundreds of video files?

Yes. Guestamate? Humm... 6,000? Maybe more...

Also, I noticed Cellulo doesn't have a great way of keeping folders up to date. Any folder I have dragged into my library is duplicated if I drag the folder again. In other words there is no smart detection going on to determine if the file is already in the library.

Any idea if iVideo does this?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    DVD Juggler is the best i've found so far. It even retrieves the dvd covers and movie info. It's a little buggy but there have been steady updates. imho it's way better than any other app of its kind. 64 full length movies and counting.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    amaroneamarone Posts: 75member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

I have heard some good things about iVideo...

http://www.waterfallsw.com/ivideo/

Mike

Thank you, indeed a great app. Just bought a license ...
  • Reply 7 of 9
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Wow, that does look nice. iPhoto for movie clips, precisely what I've been looking for as well. Would like two things that would nail it for me: keywords, and exporting web pages of albums with links to the clips, both ala iPhoto.

Any chance this app does those and I'm just missing it?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    amaroneamarone Posts: 75member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Wow, that does look nice. iPhoto for movie clips, precisely what I've been looking for as well. Would like two things that would nail it for me: keywords, and exporting web pages of albums with links to the clips, both ala iPhoto.

Any chance this app does those and I'm just missing it?

No, but you can export a single movie or a whole playlist to

- QT

- MPEG-4

- AVI

- DV

- AIFF

- System 7 Sound

- Wave

- iMovie Project!

plus, ratings and rename-options Ã* la iTunes/iPhoto.

And yes, there is a Keyword-field and a Notes-field that work with Smart Playlists. A Quick-Search field as we know it from Mail/iTunes etc. too.

Hope that future versions will improve. But in the meantime I'm happy with it.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Hot diggity that is cool!

Quote:

Also, I noticed Cellulo doesn't have a great way of keeping folders up to date. Any folder I have dragged into my library is duplicated if I drag the folder again. In other words there is no smart detection going on to determine if the file is already in the library.

Stupid iTunes doesn't do this either. It will add a second copy of a song to your Library and doesn't keep track of where files are located so if you move them around and they're on the same drive you have to freakin re-add them. I'd lose hundreds of ratings doing that. They really need to fix this. iTunes is the premier iApp database, it's a real great piece of work, but that's a sore spot. Perhaps there's some way to make it "fix" broken Library links with AppleScript?