Help With Setting Up Surround Sound

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi all.

I've got a Advent 32" HD set, and I'm having trouble getting an audio signal out of it to a receiver. I run a line from audio monitor out to the appropriate input on one of TWO (I've tried both) receivers and I get NO sound whatsoever.

I'm beginning to wonder whether or not audio coming in to the composite input doesn't get sent out to the monitor. I've got the surround sound volume on the TV and the receiver turned up and the speakers turned on. Scratch that. I just tried another video input, and it doesn't send anything to the monitor either.

Can anyone give me a hand?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Um, do you have an external HD receiver, or is it built into the TV?

And I just want to clarify this, I don't want to sound like a jackass or anything but let me state this, and then you can reply:

Composite Inputs do not carry audio signals. The HD receiver should have either a Digital coaxial output, or a Optical one. If the TV has a HD receiver built in. it should also have Coaxial/Optical Digital out. The coaxial output is usually orange. The output then goes to one of the inputs on your Surround Sound Receiver.

Now if this is not how your system works, please correct me and then explain in detail how yours is set up.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    guestguest Posts: 112member
    Every TV set I've ever seen makes you turn off the internal speakers before they will output sound through the monitor jacks. Try to turn off your TV speakers in the menu.

I think the confusion comes from the word "composite" (yellow RCA jack) when midwinter meant "coax" (F antenna connector). Coax cable (RG-59, 6 etc.) carries mulitrack stereo audio (MTX) and video signals together in 1 line. After passing through the tuner in the TV or VCR, it is split into separate lines (yellow - composite video, red and white for stereo audio, s-video, red-green-blue for component).
  • Reply 3 of 6
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by guest

Every TV set I've ever seen makes you turn off the internal speakers before they will output sound through the monitor jacks. Try to turn off your TV speakers in the menu.

I think the confusion comes from the word "composite" (yellow RCA jack) when midwinter meant "coax" (F antenna connector). Coax cable (RG-59, 6 etc.) carries mulitrack stereo audio (MTX) and video signals together in 1 line. After passing through the tuner in the TV or VCR, it is split into separate lines (yellow - composite video, red and white for stereo audio, s-video, red-green-blue for component).

Hiya.

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this thread.

Here's the setup: Coax out of wall into HD cable box. And ya'll are both right. I accidentally said "composite" when I mean "component" video, which is what comes out of my HD cable converter and into the set.

The issue is that on this particular set, I cannot find ANYWHERE in the menu to turn off the internal speakers. Nothing. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

What I learned last night is that I just need to run directly from the audio out of my DVD and cable box into the receiver (this is all a preliminary experiment). The Advent tech support is (and I'm on the phone with them at the moment) REALLY NOT BLOODY HELPFUL IN THE LEAST. They told me I need a piggyback cable, which I informed them makes no sense whatsoever.

OK. Now tech support tells me that the monitor out only works when the signal is coming from a coax cable, not component video. So that solves the problem and the piggyback cables make sense. In other words: the TV won't do what I want it to do, and I am not insane; the internal speakers cannot be turned off.

I feel like Homer Simposon now. I need a big red stamp on my hand that says "Not Insane."
  • Reply 4 of 6
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    OK, I don't mean to sound stupid, but output the audio from the HD cable box to the receiver (via an optical cable, I'd believe) and bypass the TV altogether?

So HD Box>Video Component>TV

& HD Box>Audio Optical>Receiver

EDIT: Sorry, I saw you had tried this. Do you only have one optical input on your receiver?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by scottiB

OK, I don't mean to sound stupid, but output the audio from the HD cable box to the receiver (via an optical cable, I'd believe) and bypass the TV altogether?

So HD Box>Video Component>TV

& HD Box>Audio Optical>Receiver

Yup. That's what I've had to do, which is, apparently, what you, um, are supposed to do if you ned 5.1 decoding.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Ok. So I picked up a little Pioneer VSX-D514 receiver, which I'm quite happy with. Here's the skinny:

Uber-hip Cable box works (DVI, Optical, Coax, Component, Composite, S-video, etc) like a champ. Goes component in to the CBL/SAT component inputs on the back.

Sony DVD works like a champ. Goes component in to the other component input.

Today I received shipment of my el Gato Eye Home, which offers component, composite, S-video, and optical outs. I've run the audio into the DVR audio-in jacks on the VSX, and I have tried both the composite video and an S-video input into the receiver, but I cannot get a video signal out of it to the TV unless I come composite out (or component, I assume) directly into the TV.

The question: Am I right in thinking that it's basically composite in/composite out and s-video in/s-video out? That is, that I can't have an s-video input signal come out of the component outputs?

Basically, I'm trying to avoid having to switch inputs on the TV (therefore necessitating multiple remotes for what has only taken one). I've got the neato Kamelon (sp?) remote, so I suppose I could just program it to do everything, but still.

Thanks in advance! Sorry for the newbie questions. I can set up a large PA system in a flash, but this is giving me fits.