Photoshop Idea

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I often have the problem of wanting to sample an area with the clone tool (stamp tool) or the healing brush in one direction but draw in a different direction. I run into this problem a lot when having to fill in areas in images. Wouldn't it be nice if you could create like a path or if Photoshop let you set the direction of where to sample? It would still move the same amount of space as you do, but you could control the direction.

Did I explain myself well enough? Good idea? Bad idea?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    The way i understand it, you basically want the sample to move in the oposite direction of the cursor. If thats the idea, i could think of many instances where it could have come in handy. All they would need to do is place an inverse direction check-box in the tool options.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Glad someone else can understand the usefulness.

I don't necessarily mean inverse, but say you are coloring a glasses frame from one area of the glasses to another. No part of the glasses are the same. So if you could chose a direction or quickly draw the path you want the sampling to follow, and then start drawing in the blown out area of the glasses you could easily fill it in without having to do a dot at a time.

Worst example yet?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Ahh, I see what you mean now. PATHS, what a great idea. It would be such a time saver, and im all for that.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Yes it would definately get rid of a few headaches associated with using the clone stamp. Im all for it. Great idea ast3r3x. Hopefully Creative will pick up on this.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Uh... PhotoShop has a Paths Palette and Tools. (Not as powerful as Illustrator, but)

Which version are you asking about?

And I'm not sure I'm understanding your glasses example.

Care to post a pic that has such a challenge?

You can sample onto a bland transparent layer (tick "use all layers" box in options bar)

transforming the grain or rotating patterns or shifting perspective on the new layer ought to help.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    if I understand correctly, you want to use the rubber stamp to clone along specific paths?

Click the Path (pen) tool

Make your path shapes

Open the Paths palette

Keep the path layer you just made selected

Click the rubber stamp tool and set its size and shape to what you want

Sample the image to clone from

Go back to the path document

Click the "Stoke Path with brush" button at the bottom of the Paths palette

It should stroke using the currently selected brush, in this case a clone from the other document.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

if I understand correctly, you want to use the rubber stamp to clone along specific paths?

Click the Path (pen) tool

Make your path shapes

Open the Paths palette

Keep the path layer you just made selected

Click the rubber stamp tool and set its size and shape to what you want

Sample the image to clone from

Go back to the path document

Click the "Stoke Path with brush" button at the bottom of the Paths palette

It should stroke using the currently selected brush, in this case a clone from the other document.

I'll try this today, it sounds like what I want. Although it seems clumsy compared to how I wanted it to work. My main concern was a way to increase speed. I guess this would be good for certain things, but too much of an extended process for little jobs. Thanks though
  • Reply 8 of 8
    If you want to clone "backwards" all you have to do is duplicate the layer, flip it, mark your clone source, select the original layer and stamp away.