Safari 2.0 huge?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I got mixed feelings watching today's WWDC about Safari.

Having RSS content aggregation is probably more important than most people realize. It could be the beginning of a decade-long departure from the HTML-everywhere web we have seen the last 10 years and towards more and more XML, mix-and-match and personalized content controlled by the user, not the publisher.

This could be huge - and I am pretty certain, this is going to be in the next release of every major browser - including IE.

However, seeing it at the Tiger WWDC gave me the uneasy feeling that it will be released alongside with Tiger - 9 month from now. The idea to have Safari 0.x on 10.2, 1.x on 10.3 and 2.x on 10.4 only gives me shivers as I am a part-time web designer, as I will not have the time to test against all versions - possibly locking out 10.2 users.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

Having RSS content aggregation is probably more important than most people realize. It could be the beginning of a decade-long departure from the HTML-everywhere web we have seen the last 10 years and towards more and more XML, mix-and-match and personalized content controlled by the user, not the publisher.

Possibly. Yet it is important review relavent history.

html was originally intended for what you describe, a way to abstract presentation of data from the data itself. However, over time in real world use, it evolved back toward married content and formatting.

Not that the seperation is an inherently bad idea... just that we've been down this road before and ended up turning around.

Things could be different this time. If so... why?