PC's Faster...but Better? I think not!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
A friend at work...well not really a friend i can't say i like the kid too much...

Oh well he just completely doesn't belive me when i tell him about how macs are better, so i'm looking for some cold hard facts that he just can't dispute about superior h/w, and s/w. So if anyone would like to add a tidbit or so to this thread so i can just slam it on his desk 2morrow and go..."i understand you theory is that macs are worse then PC's *slam* but this proves my theory that your a retard!" (ok maybe to corny but something along those lines, haha)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I understand that Macs have a much lower operating cost. They consume less energy, fewer upgrades are needed less often to keep them current (perhaps because "current" ones aren't much better than past ones, I don't know), they're more reliable and last longer, they're less prone to viruses... I know there's a study out there somewhere that shows how Macs make up the price difference between them and equivalently equipped PCs through operating costs. For all purposes of argument, the actual user interface can't be argued as an advantage for either platform. Most people here prefer Macs, but it's not a hard fact that Mac OS is better than Windows. It's just a well-supported opinion

You could also look for a study or a survey or something that compares the uptime of a Mac to a PC. Maybe the PC is faster, but if it'd down for service two or three times as often, it's not a better deal, and it effectively slows it down.

EDIT: Here's a link I found:

<a href="http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0206/13.deal.php"; target="_blank">http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0206/13.deal.php</a>;

[ 08-08-2002: Message edited by: Luca Rescigno ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 6
    jbytesjbytes Posts: 33member
    [quote]Originally posted by ast3r3x:

<strong>A friend at work...well not really a friend i can't say i like the kid too much...

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think there's a word to describe those people. What's that word again? It's on the tip of my tongue!!! Ah, I believe it's "co-worker!"

--JBytes
  • Reply 3 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    My bro just bought a PeeCee, and it is fast and top-of-the-line. He still uses my 5 year old mac for DV editing.

You can lead a PC to water, but you can't make it work.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    jesperasjesperas Posts: 524member
    <a href="http://www.bandc.com/mactech/mac.html"; target="_blank">This</a> what you're looking for?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by ast3r3x:

<strong>Oh well he just completely doesn't belive me when i tell him about how macs are better, so i'm looking for some cold hard facts that he just can't dispute about superior h/w, and s/w. So if anyone would like to add a tidbit or so to this thread so i can just slam it on his desk 2morrow and go..."</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sorry, but I don't think such a thing exists. In reality, it all depends on the individual. If a PC makes this kid more productive, then for him, PCs are better. For myself, and I'm sure anyone else that reads this, OSX is far superior to Windows.

As far as the actual hardware goes, there are some damn nice PCs out there. More competition produces better products - just look at how long DDR chipsets have been available for PCs. Not that Apple doesn't have great industrial designs, but Apple generally lacks in technology. Just look at DDR memory, ATA 133, USB 2.0, AGP x8, the list goes on. So ya, PCs are faster - but I'm still more productive on my Mac.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    [quote]A friend at work...well not really a friend i can't say i like the kid too much...

Oh well he just completely doesn't belive me when i tell him about how macs are better, so i'm looking for some cold hard facts that he just can't dispute about superior h/w, and s/w. So if anyone would like to add a tidbit or so to this thread so i can just slam it on his desk 2morrow and go..."i understand you theory is that macs are worse then PC's *slam* but this proves my theory that your a retard!" (ok maybe to corny but something along those lines, haha)

<hr></blockquote>

You sound like an utter zealot.

You know, a lot of people (that are intelligent, mind you), actually believe Macs are inferior. The Macintosh is not the best computer for every imaginable task.

A lot of aspects of the Macintosh suck. You have to accept that not everyone needs, wants, or should use a Mac. Let him use what platform he wants, and you can use yours.

[quote]fewer upgrades are needed less often to keep them current (perhaps because "current" ones aren't much better than past ones, I don't know)<hr></blockquote>

[ 08-09-2002: Message edited by: radar1503 ]</p>