WWDC/Stevenote: Streamed vs. Word-of-Mouth

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well, having watched the actual Stevenote just now, I am vastly more excited and optimistic about 99% of the things covered.

My question is how many people were bummed today, when various things didn't materialize (or that some others did) but then felt completely different after watching the actual webcast?

Reality distortion field is at work for sure (love the sweater comment) but it was the actual technologies shown and little details that blew me away.

I'd say the one niggling thing was Steve's stunning audacity to describe Dashboard with such a straight face (why could not even one developer yell out "Hey, that's a Konfabulator rip-off!"). That said, I like what I saw (not the look and feel of any Widget in particular, that's irrelevant) but that they seem more live and immediate and I love the flip over effect (yes, Sun pioneered that in the labs?but it's all about execution and bringing to market that counts).

But I certainly don't expect him to publicly say "Yeah, we saw Konfabulator and liked it so much we decided to completely mimic it without licensing it..." That war will rage for a while I think, but to me it's between Arlo and Steve.

Having only read text accounts and Mac-site news pieces I've decided to never again listen to the perpetually-crestfallen "is that all??" crowd prior to watching the video.

It was MUCH better than the text-only accounts lead me to believe.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i agree--everything looks INCREDIBLE!
  • Reply 2 of 15
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    I thought Spotlight sounded lame, I thought that dashboard looked even lamer, and that RSS was overrated.

But after watching the Keynote, I gotta say... I want Tiger now... Spotlight looks freaking awesome. And I like the fact that Dashboard hides the widgets... something that Konfabulator doesn't do.

Bring on Tiger.

iDunno
  • Reply 3 of 15
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    You've succumbed to the RDF...

I've never been a big fan of Konfabulator. Its a very geeky thing to have and I honestly cant see mainstream users knowing how to properly use it. I'm not too excited about to be honest. My screen is usually full of either Safari or Entourage or I'm gaming... I hardly get to see my desktop.

I hope it becomes easier to use and more intuitive by the time Tigger ships..
  • Reply 4 of 15
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

You've succumbed to the RDF...

I've never been a big fan of Konfabulator. Its a very geeky thing to have and I honestly cant see mainstream users knowing how to properly use it. I'm not too excited about to be honest. My screen is usually full of either Safari or Entourage or I'm gaming... I hardly get to see my desktop.

Yup, that's one of the big problems I've had with Konfabulator - widgets are either over your windows, or you have to move your windows to see them. Bleah!

Dashboard solves that. Widgets are on a single layer that goes *OVER* all your other windows, but *only when you trigger it*. Otherwise it's simply not taking up any screenspace at all.

Quote:

I hope it becomes easier to use and more intuitive by the time Tigger ships..

It already did.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    ok, this starts to make more sense.

But still, this doesnt "feel" right.

The widgets are really awesome, but far from being streamlined in look & feel. This really really looks like yet another "layer" (sorry for pun) of "stuff" you can do.

Joe user, or someone like my mom, is gonna come accross it one day maybe by mistake, and be a bit overwhlemed by it.

So, lets see...

To get your documents you double click on "Macintosh HD" and select from the left handed list... or you also use a very very different "Dashboard" to make shortcuts... as opposed to possibly using the Dock as well where I can put links????

I just do not see how something like this can fit in smoothly.

Its bascially like an "alpha channel dock" that appears once you call for it... but you ALSO have the normal Dock.

I'm lost.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I think all of the new features are extremely useful. I was totally impressed.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

To get your documents you double click on "Macintosh HD" and select from the left handed list... or you also use a very very different "Dashboard" to make shortcuts... as opposed to possibly using the Dock as well where I can put links????

I just do not see how something like this can fit in smoothly.

Its bascially like an "alpha channel dock" that appears once you call for it... but you ALSO have the normal Dock.

I'm lost.

WHAAAAAAA?

Yeah, you are.

Dashboard is *only for widgets written for Dashboard*. It does not hold files. It does not hold folders. It does not hold applications.

It holds widgets. Tiny little pseudo-apps that basically are just like the old Desk Accessories from 1984.

If you want a better feel for what they are and what they can (and can't) do, go hit www.konfabulator.com. Arlo's product is very close to Dashboard, and should give you a feel for what's coming down the pipe.

It is *not* a Dock replacement.

It is *not* a Finder replacement.

It is for bringing up a quick layer of 'glance-and-get-info' widgets, like current weather, a few stocks, or your CPU use. Not for launching apps, not for finding or holding files.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Yeah but many of Apple's widgets DO link directly to apps, such as iTunes, Address Book, Calendar, and Stickies. I agree with ZO that there's a kind of duplication to these things. And the fact that it's linked to an F-key, rather than a visible icon, really make this not a grandma feature.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    They link to, they do not replace. They do not launch. They do not subsume.

Seriously, there is zero, and I mean zero, overlap between the Dock and Dashboard.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

They link to, they do not replace. They do not launch. They do not subsume.

Seriously, there is zero, and I mean zero, overlap between the Dock and Dashboard.

This is absolutely correct. Zero.

However...

If one were to, say, completely rethink the Dock, I myself would make (yet) another layer which behaves similarly to Dashboard.

Imagine triggering Dock 2 (by irrelevant method/s).

The screen blackens Dashboard style.

Things which you have plopped into this layer, folders, programs, files, aliases, are all laying about in a user controllable level of neatness or messiness (think Desktop).

Move, use these things anyway you want. (You could drag to and from the layer)

Trigger it to go away Dashboard style.

wouldn't need a Dock in a specific place

wouldn't need to clutter the desktop

wouldn't need to see things that you only need to see occasionally

wouldn't need to have the Dock in a too-triggerable position (no accidental triggering as is the case now when hidden)

anyway, something to chat about for 9+ months....

Oh yeah, idea (c)johnq

Damn, I'm offtopic in my own thread. I guess I can do that
  • Reply 11 of 15
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    When I found out about konfabulator, I went and downloaded it, then went through 600 of the widgets he has there, came away with 30 or so widgets I "needed".. all in all, I got very bored and very tired of them always on my desktop... which I keep entirely blank (only the HD icon on my desktop). The only widgets I regard as useful are the ones that tell me the current weather, current stocks, and CPU usage. But I stopped using them as they were desktop clutter-ers. But if Dashboard can solve the "always on desktop" prob... bring it on.

iDunno.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    dashboard is NOT a konfabulator clone

they do exactly the same thing in VERY different ways...

and dashboard uses MUCH less CPU... IIUC it ONLY takes up CPU cycles when it is invoked... konfabulator is a resource HOG regardless of what you can actually SEE. If the widget is loaded, it is using cycles, LOTS of cycles...

but getting back ON TOPIC

the stream is always much more convincing then text accounts... it is so hard to convey the excitement of a keynote without going crazy and typing in all caps with way too many exclamation points... (!!!11!!one!1ONE!!!)
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

This is absolutely correct. Zero.

However...

If one were to, say, completely rethink the Dock, I myself would make (yet) another layer which behaves similarly to Dashboard....

Nice.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Quote:

Widgets are on a single layer that goes *OVER* all your other windows, but *only when you trigger it*. Otherwise it's simply not taking up any screenspace at all.

And when dashboard disappears, it stops being a CPU pig.

With more and more items appearing in the menubar, dock, and now dashboard, perhaps we are seeing the shortcomings of the dock come to light?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Nice.

Hey, WAIT Mr. FaceTop...forgot who I was talking too...

Ok so hire me...