Spotlight == Launchbar ?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I know it's the underlying technology that's important, but SpotLight UI looks at lot like Launchbar. Funny right...?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    pierr_alexpierr_alex Posts: 101member
    ...and by the way, the DashBoard Flip Effect comes from SUN's Looking Glass.

Looks like the photocopier works in both directions ;-)
  • Reply 2 of 3
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Well, Spotlight > LaunchBar. Much more. I mean, the UI is faintly similar, but how else would you do it? The Quicksilver does it, for instance, is very interesting, but a little too complex for average users.

As for Sun's Looking Glass demo -- I suppose you could call it a copy or homage to that cute idea... however with the difference that it's using a cute idea for something useful (a place for preferences for widgets which have no menu bars and minimal control sets) instead of a kinda pointless, not-too-well-thought-out idea (e.g. notes for web pages).

Really, Dashboard is the only out-and-out rip-off, IMO.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pierr_alex

...and by the way, the DashBoard Flip Effect comes from SUN's Looking Glass.

Looks like the photocopier works in both directions ;-)

Actually, Looking Glass has been done by grad students with the OpenGL bug for years as a programming exercise. Sun execs apparently thought it was new though, slapped a marketing term on it, and voila! Instant Inn-o-vation!