Spider-man 2

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well i jsut got back from the midnight showing of Spider-man 2. Overall, it was pretty good I suppose, but the writing was awful and there were some very cheesy and unnecessary scenes (you'll know what I'm talking about). Visuals were average--nothing really stood out. The best part by far was the title sequence--very cool. Anyways, I'm curious to see how other people react to it. It was worth watching, but not one I would go to twice in the theaters.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    well, so far, you are one of a very small minority who hasn't gushed over this film. see chud.com, rottentomatoes.com, or even my own regional times-picayune movie review.

i haven't seen it yet, but i will either tonight (unlikely) or tomorrow night.

p.s. let me also throw in my old "hometown" paper, the toronto star, for another rave review.

p.p.s. well, gotta throw in penny-arcade.com as well now...
  • Reply 2 of 24
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Wow, ipodandimac, I couldn't disagree with you more! For a superhero movie I thought the writing and story were great.

I was as interested in the character driven part of the plot even more than the big battles, and I LOVED those, too.

It perfectly captured Peter Parker as an average guy in extraordinary circumstances-which was always the biggest appeal of the comic anyway.

I can't think of a more human character in any fantasy-style movie.

And it had a couple genuinely funny moments, too.

If you're someone who doesn't hate every big-budget summer movie just for being that, I couldn't recommend it more.

J
  • Reply 3 of 24
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

I thought it was the best comic->film conversion ever. There were so many great scenes, I couldn't begin to name them all. I definitely have to go again sometime.

I looked up the "Johnny Astronaut USA" character on the web because I thought they were priming him to be a major nemesis for Spidey. They niceness of the character and the circumstances just made it too obvious. It looks like there is a complex storyline for him, but I'm guessing it's just out there as an option.

I'm betting the next Spidey uses Venom as the main baddie and Goblin/Harry in a minor role.

The two helicopters at the end...WTF.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I really enjoyed the movie, spider-man is probably my all time favorite super hero, And these movies do a fantastic job bringing the comics to real life. And the daily Bugle guy, jamerson, is amazing and almost single handedly makes the movie worthwhile.

Spoilers

I've given a lot of thought to this Eugene, And my friend(Big comic book fan and movie buff) told me that they plan to make more than 3 spider-man movies. Now this sets up an interesting scenario I think, since they already, imo, introduced the next few victims...hmm..I meant to type villains, but in a sense most of the villains are victims to something. So - We have Harry Osborne, Wants revenge against spider-man for killing his father, hates Spider-man. But, Peter is still his friend, he doesn't want to lose peter as a friend, he also doesn't want to follow his dad's footsteps as the green goblin, BUT, he still has an irrational hate towards spider-man, and as shown in SM2, he started having delusional visions like his father did. So, that's setting him up to be the next primary villain...or is it? Also, on the sidelines we have Peter Parkers Professor, the one-armed guy. In the comics, he develops a serum using Lizard DNA, in an effort to grow back his arm, It works, but then it causes his mind to snap and he becomes a giant Lizard and terrorizes the City. Then finally, we have, by far, the most popular Spider-man villain around. VENOM, The problem with Venom is, they haven't established anything about him yet. EXCEPT john astronaut, But, the character that turns into venom in the comics, Brock, he hasn't been introduced yet, and also, I don't really think that the series is ready to bring a space alien into the fold yet.

So, What I think is going to happen in SM3, they will introduce Brock as a character in the beginning, then somewhere in the movie John astronaut will go out to space on a mission, and he'll probably return near the end of the movie, bringing with him the venom symbiotic, where it will set itself up for the venom being the primary villain in SM4

Of course I could be way off base
  • Reply 5 of 24
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

The two helicopters at the end...WTF.

thats the kind of stuff i'm talking about.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

I really enjoyed the movie, spider-man is probably my all time favorite super hero, And these movies do a fantastic job bringing the comics to real life. And the daily Bugle guy, jamerson, is amazing and almost single handedly makes the movie worthwhile.

Spoilers

I've given a lot of thought to this Eugene, And my friend(Big comic book fan and movie buff) told me that they plan to make more than 3 spider-man movies. Now this sets up an interesting scenario I think, since they already, imo, introduced the next few victims...hmm..I meant to type villains, but in a sense most of the villains are victims to something. So - We have Harry Osborne, Wants revenge against spider-man for killing his father, hates Spider-man. But, Peter is still his friend, he doesn't want to lose peter as a friend, he also doesn't want to follow his dad's footsteps as the green goblin, BUT, he still has an irrational hate towards spider-man, and as shown in SM2, he started having delusional visions like his father did. So, that's setting him up to be the next primary villain...or is it? Also, on the sidelines we have Peter Parkers Professor, the one-armed guy. In the comics, he develops a serum using Lizard DNA, in an effort to grow back his arm, It works, but then it causes his mind to snap and he becomes a giant Lizard and terrorizes the City. Then finally, we have, by far, the most popular Spider-man villain around. VENOM, The problem with Venom is, they haven't established anything about him yet. EXCEPT john astronaut, But, the character that turns into venom in the comics, Brock, he hasn't been introduced yet, and also, I don't really think that the series is ready to bring a space alien into the fold yet.

So, What I think is going to happen in SM3, they will introduce Brock as a character in the beginning, then somewhere in the movie John astronaut will go out to space on a mission, and he'll probably return near the end of the movie, bringing with him the venom symbiotic, where it will set itself up for the venom being the primary villain in SM4

Of course I could be way off base

technicaly, they did "mention" eddie in the first movie, as they said "eddie's been out all day trying to get pictures of him" or something like that. but no, we haven't actually seen eddie brock. and the entire venom-spider-suit storyline is so convoluted and originated int he über-crossover secret wars, well, it'd be impossible to explain correctly in raimi's universe. they'd just hav to reconstruct the entire thing.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Ebert gushed over it too.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

And my friend(Big comic book fan and movie buff) told me that they plan to make more than 3 spider-man movies.

hmm if they do, it's too bad kirsten and toby wont be starring. they (the producers) wont make anymore after this next one.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Only Dunst says for sure she won't reprise he role after Spidey 3, and that decision is subject to dollars too. I wouldn't be surprised to see her reverse her decision...

I'm sure Raimi might want to move on, but the producers are going to milk the franchise for what its worth, and that's several billions.

Gillies, who is engaged to Rachael Leigh Cook , is reportedly already contracted for Spidey 3. I'm still not sure how the Man-Wolf stuff could be woven into the films. It seems like more trouble than its worth.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    i, too, have also heard that many of the cast and crew are mostly interested in a trilogy of movies. there is an issue of typecasting in roles in high profile, recurring roles that can be tought to shake (luke skywalker, capt. kirk, frodo baggins, harry potter, lt. data), unless the actor/actress has way more talent than average (see: harrison ford as han solo/indiana jones).

but yes, as long as the money is still there, sony will milk it for all its worth. sci-fi fans are especially lucrative because of all the merchandise they typically buy (see trekkies for instance, which is the ONLY reason star trek: enterprise got renewed for one last season -- to give them enough seasons for syndication to keep playing the episodes and drive more merchandise sales).

certainly, there's enough depth in the spider man storyline with characters, but after three movies, the whole "i can't be spider-man, it's such a burden" thing will get old. as long as they can keep getting good writers and producers though, anything is possible. just as long as the franchise doesn't fall apart like the batman one did (batman and robin... ugh, what a mess)
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i, too, have also heard that many of the cast and crew are mostly interested in a trilogy of movies. there is an issue of typecasting in roles in high profile, recurring roles that can be tought to shake (luke skywalker, capt. kirk, frodo baggins, harry potter, lt. data), unless the actor/actress has way more talent than average (see: harrison ford as han solo/indiana jones).

Maguire and Dunst both have long filmographies already, so they are in NO danger of being typecast or strictly remembered in one role.

Mark Hamill was an unknown that landed the biggest role of his life way too early. Daniel Radcliffe will suffer worse since puberty has taken its toll. I don't think has has a very marketable look as an adult. To me, William Shatner as Kirk and Wood as Frodo are memorable because of the atrocious acting. Wood in particular with his just as atrocious acting in the iLife promo video.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    by the way, if i had to vote for the next spidey villain, it would be none other than kraven the hunter. one of those badasses that died int he comics long ago, but still has a great following among readers still today (though marvel may have brought him back -- i havent kept up with the comics since the mid-90's).

marvel did "reboot" the storylines of lines like spider-man in their dotcomics online, and i thought they camme up with a pretty decent idea to explain kraven's obsession a bit more topicallly in today's era. namely, kraven still sees spidey as the ultimate prize, but kraven televises all of his hunting exploits through his own reality t.v. show.

i mean, i know harry osborn is inevitable for the third installment (i think he's either green goblin ii or hobgoblin, i caan't recall which). and never forget j. jonah jameson is a very interesting "enemy" that a good writer could have a field day with.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    BTW, it looks like Spiderman 2 is on track to do over $150 MILLION in its opening weekend. That is absolutely astonishing.

Nick
  • Reply 14 of 24
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Just got back from the movie, it was awesome need i say more? i use to read the comic books with spidey fighting Dr-O and they did a fantastic job, thought i was going to boo hoo a few times. If you havent seen it might as well get a drink and some popcorn and enjoy the show. i give it a 9.5 out of 10. can anything be perfect?
  • Reply 15 of 24
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Just got back from Spidey 2... wow.

I just read that the movie took in over 180 million in it's first 6 days - I can see why. I think I can comfortably say that this is now my favorite superhero movie. Raimi has always been one of my favorite directors - I loved the Evil Dead series and it was nice to see homage to these movies in the Spidey series. Could we be witnessing the next Spielberg in the making...? Could be!

Not a whole lot more I can add to what has been said already. It's notably better on virtually every front from the first movie, and I thought the first one was pretty good too! The only shame is in having to wait 3 more years to see the next one.

Cheers,

C.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I really enjoyed the movie.

I don't really have any criticisms. I would like a little more smart-ass quips during the battles like Spiderman does in the comics.

Great story. Great work by the actors. Great stuff.

Really really good.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    I enjoyed the movie, but I don't think it tops the original. Originals always have a certain magic that can't be repeated by any sequel. The first time you are brought into a new world, that is just a great feeling. Like Willy Wonka, or the original Harry Potter even...Jurrasic Park too!

It was good, fun, and enjoyable, but nothing beats that original...when he first discovers his super powers.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    hey, if you liked spider-man 2, then you'll love this movie (requires QuickTime).

the music alone is awesome!
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

I really enjoyed the movie.

I don't really have any criticisms. I would like a little more smart-ass quips during the battles like Spiderman does in the comics.

Great story. Great work by the actors. Great stuff.

Really really good.

i'm mostly just impressed at how well tobey macguire (sp?) is fitting into the role. at first, when i heard the role castings, i was like "huh?" and even in the first movie, it felt forced on him, but now he really seems to be one with the character, both peter parker AND spider-man. and alfred molina made one helluva doctor octopus.

SPOILER begins

okay, so like, is this the worst-kept secret identity ever or what??? i know spidey lets a chosen few like mary jane know his identity in the comics, but having an entire subway car find out??? i think raimi did it primarily because he needed to show the anguish in tobey's face trying to stop the runaway train, something that would not be possible under the mask.

SPOILER ends
  • Reply 20 of 24
    ipenguinipenguin Posts: 10member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

Well i jsut got back from the midnight showing of Spider-man 2. Overall, it was pretty good I suppose, but the writing was awful and there were some very cheesy and unnecessary scenes (you'll know what I'm talking about). Visuals were average--nothing really stood out. The best part by far was the title sequence--very cool. Anyways, I'm curious to see how other people react to it. It was worth watching, but not one I would go to twice in the theaters.

Overall I thought it was good, but there were, like you said, just some things that stick out, but you forget them soon after and generally enjoy the movie as a whole. Ironically I hated the title sequence.

I'm usually not a fan of comics (the action ones at least; love Get Fuzzy, Dilbert, etc.) but I do enjoy a nice movie.