Something for MacOS 10.5?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
This topic has been brought up again and again, a 3D desktop. Now there is a new approach for Linux:

http://insitu.lri.fr/~chapuis/metisse/index.html

What about having something like this on the Macintosh? Perhaps as an option (i.e. one could switch between the normal 2D view and the 3D desktop)... whatcha think?

Greetings,

durandal

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    hmm, even looking glass looks a lot better than this half-baked approach ...
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by durandal

This topic has been brought up again and again, a 3D desktop. Now there is a new approach for Linux:

http://insitu.lri.fr/~chapuis/metisse/index.html

What about having something like this on the Macintosh? Perhaps as an option (i.e. one could switch between the normal 2D view and the 3D desktop)... whatcha think?

Greetings,

durandal

Yeah well but what will that bring? No gain of space, no gain of time, no gain of ease of use...

I tell you : I'm currently working in an AI lab for enhancing 3D exploration methods, and even with the use of a 3D mouse and a bunch of top of the notch custom-built algorithms, this is tough! So no 3D desktop, please!
  • Reply 3 of 9
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    True.

Except for eye candy and some marketing, 3D working spaces give you not much more in terms of useability. Most people have trouble navigating in a 3D space on a computer screen (especially depth). You can use some 3D metaphors, but sparingly. Maybe something like piles and the like ?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlue

True.

Except for eye candy and some marketing, 3D working spaces give you not much more in terms of useability. Most people have trouble navigating in a 3D space on a computer screen (especially depth). You can use some 3D metaphors, but sparingly. Maybe something like piles and the like ?

Why not, but those 3D metaphors must make sense. After all, a desktop is a 2D concept, no need for 3D browsing. Now, if you introduce another dimension to the file exploration, then why not.

For example, the only feature piles would be useful for is a version management feature : you'd have the most recent version of your document on top of your pile and then you'd be able to pop the pile to find an older version.

Maybe for some efficent management of some "most recent ..." thing too.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    3D interfaces won't be useful until we get 3D displays. 3D interfaces on a 2D display makes no sense.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

3D interfaces won't be useful until we get 3D displays. 3D interfaces on a 2D display makes no sense.

Even with 3D displays... you'll need a nice input device too. 3D mices are impossible to manipulate, for example.

Anyway, building "3D" features like piles into the system is not inconsistent if it reflects 3D features of the filesystem (a file version manager for example, would add a temporal dimension in addition the two spatial dimensions...)
  • Reply 7 of 9
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Piles and even overlapping windows like we have now are more like 2.5D. I agree with KKS that true 3D UIs won't use perspective but will be truly 3D once we adopt 3D display technology for them.

Perspective just has so many problems with it for this use that while it has its share of benefits that I think something like OS X could use in part, as a singular model for representation, it's more limiting than the frontal layered UI in "2.5D" that we have now. Perspective ? 3D anyway.

Besides, the problem I have with this Linux thing is that it's not truly 3D since it's just a bunch of 2D planes appearing to flip in 3D space. A truly 3D UI will use truly 3D objects and more importantly will define spaces, not just have objects floating in ether. This thing and things like looking glass (which some Dashboard desk accessories "rip-off") do at least use both sides of a surface, but to me it's just a first baby step, not really taking advantage of 3D space and volume.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    for those of you who watched the wwdc broadcast did u see it when steve to one of the dashboard apps and turned it around to change somethingit reminded me of the 3D thing. its at 1 hour and 23 minutes into the movie.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nano

for those of you who watched the wwdc broadcast did u see it when steve to one of the dashboard apps and turned it around to change somethingit reminded me of the 3D thing. its at 1 hour and 23 minutes into the movie.

That's a pretty cool effect, indeed, but it's not really 3D... just a 3D transition effect between 2 windows. Same as Fast User Switching, actually!