G5 Scare, Please Comment

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I walked into my office after being out for a week, and heard a noise that I've never heard before. Like a wind tunnel in my office, it turns out my Dual 1.8 G5's 9 fans were blazing away on FULL power and the system wouldn't respond.

My heart sank and I fearfully powered the machine down, and then backup. It booted with no issues and performed flawlessly for 5 hours, when suddenly it locked up entirely (No mouse or keyboard control response) and I heard the fans ramping up again.

I rebooted again, and again all is well. This is confusing since it seems like a software/OS issue since it's solved by a simple reboot.

The system was purchased by my employer in February, and I'm sure did not include Applecare. What are my warranty options? Should I take it to me nearby Apple Store for consultation? Any advice or comments from those with similar experience are appreciated.

Could it be that it's location under my desk is getting too hot? Maybe I should move it to my desktop for better air circulation? THANKS!!!

I love this machine and can't even bear the thought of not having it for a few hours, it is my baby and the only reason I get any work done.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I thought that there was a software fix for that issue? I would do a software update and see if you need anything first. Also check Apple's forums to see if there is any other mentions of the same issue.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Same thing happened to us a couple of months ago with a dual 2.0. It was after a power outage. We zapped the pram and then repaired permissions. We also put a good filter and ups in line and have had no problems since.

reg
  • Reply 3 of 5
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    My software is completely up to date. I am going to relocate my PowerMac to my desktop for better airflow, and will follow the advice regarding PRAM, permissions, and will try to move it to another power outlet/protector for good measure.

I'll keep you posted on my results. Thanks for the fast response. Sorry you had problems but it's a releif to hear that I'm not the only one and that this is likely not the sign of a dying machine.

Man, those 9 fans can be loud though, eh?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    If it still happens, look for a PMU reset button on the motherboard to reset the Power Manager Unit.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    So far, so good. It hasn't happened in 2 days since I did the following:

- Relocated the unit to my Desktop for better airflow (vs. under desk against a wall)

- Reset PRAM

- Repaired Permissions

I'm going to leave it on over the weekend, so I guess the real test will come on Tuesay morning. FINGERS CROSSED.

Thanks to everyone for their input!