Video Codecs for Powerpoint (Mac & PC)

4fx4fx
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I need to compress quite a number of video files for use in presentations. They will be used within a Powerpoint presentation that will need to be run on both a Mac and a PC.

Previously, MPEG1 has been used for compression, but I was hoping to use MPEG4 since it provides a much higher quality and smaller file sizes. Encapsulating the MPEG4 within a .mov file will work fine on the Mac version of Powerpoint since it refers to Quicktime when playing video. The PC version of Powerpoint is another story however. Apparently you need a format that is compatible with Windows Media or Quicktime 2 (which strangely enough is embedded to some degree within Windows). Thus, MPEG4 and .mov files will not natively play in Powerpoint for the PC, though you can use a hyperlink to have Quicktime open the file.

My question is, what is the best of delivery in this case? The hyperlink option is not something I really want. Besides that I am not opposed to other methods. Ive thought about using AVI files that are encoded with DIVX. Does WMP and QT support these files natively, or do you have to install them separately? And what software would I have to use to compress them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!