desperate - CAM problems PLEASE!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
MAC PROBLEMS - HELP!!!!

when ever i start up my cam in ichat or yahoo messenger it crashes after about 1 minute.

in ichat the following message appears:

ichat internal error

NS Invalid Arguement Exception

***-(NSPlaceholderStringinit WithString :]: nil string

(or other) arguement

once crashed - i am kicked out of the internet as well and cannot reconnect without restarting.

I have tried this in Panther 10.3.3 having downloaded ioxperts cam driver, the ichatUSBcam1.1.2, AND the application enhancer.

THIS ERROR happens with both my LOGITECH QUICKCAM ZOOM and also LOGITCH QUICKCAM PRO4000

My webcams work on yahoo without crashing on my PC laptop so it cant be the cameras

I reformatted my mac completely back to OSX 10.2.8 and IT STILL HAPPENS so it cant be the mac or panther specifically (G4 tower)

My net connection is completely fine on web browsers AND messenger programs without cams so I doubt its that

I have installed and uninstalled the messenger programs to no effect.

PLEASE SOMEONE HEEEEEEEELP! I cannot tell you how many hours I have spent PLUS money in buying full versions of the cam software which I then lost during reformatting - I also spent lots of money buying a new webcam only to find out it still happens. I am exhausted having spent over 6 hours when I got home from work last night alone.

If you know of any friends or forums which could help PLEASE contact me at [email protected]

Thank you so much

Kitty

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    1. if you wanted hassle-free operation, you should have gotten an iSight.

2. Why didnt you back up the full versions of your programs before reformatting?

3. Solution: just get an iSight an use iChatAV--none of this yahoo crap.

Quote:

i am kicked out of the internet

The internet is an exclusive club. That's too bad your membership ran out.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    well thank you oh so much that is super helpful. i cant afford an isight. i dont have a back up system for the same reasons and i inherited my mac and dont have the original disks. but to be honest thats not my main concern. my family and man live in a different country and i just wanted to be able to 'see' them.

thank you for taking the time to make my day even worse.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I am not sure if this will help your problem but... Make sure that ports 5297 and 5298 are allowed if you have the apple firewall on. Even with those off it should not cause the program to crash. As for other forums you might try the Apple site http://discussions.info.apple.com/. I have not had any problems with iChat. I have an aunt that has to use ichatusbcam because she has an iBook 500. iChat does not support anything lower than 600. If all else fails and you both have a pc you can use eyeball chat. http://www.eyeballchat.com/ It is a free chat for the windows side but nowhere as nice as iChat with an iSight.

reg
  • Reply 4 of 5
    thanks Reg. i dont have the firewall on which is why i find this all so odd. i do have a pc but wanted to get rid of it and be solely mac user.

heres a STATUS UPDATE which confuses me even further

i returned home from work last night and tried to use cam on yahoo (as someone asked for my crash logs to assess) and I HAD NOT CHANGED ANYTHING since the night before when all it would do is crash.

and IT NO LONGER CRASHES.

BUT the cam is b/w no matter what i do to the cam controls and on occasion when restarting the cam the image scrolls so you can see 2 or 4 corners of the image scrolling very fast

do you think that this could be an actual hardware problem? as i have tried it with 2 cams and 2 operating systems AND reformatted...????
  • Reply 5 of 5
    regreg Posts: 832member
    The B/W could be caused by low lighting. The video clipping could be your computer. If you have several apps open, the cpu could be using time on those instead of the video. Usb transfer is slow anyway compared to firewire which the iSight uses. My aunt has choppy pictures on her chatusbcam but the audio is fine.

reg