Final Cut w/ FAT32 drive save issues

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
The people at my work just purchased 8 SimpleTech external hard drives. We do both computer programming and production of DVDs, flash movies, etc. so we use a combination of Macs and PCs. The drives came formatted as NTFS drives, which cannot be written (although they can be read) by the Macs (which are running OS X: Panther). Ideally, they would like to be able to use the drives for both types of systems. I formatted the drives into the FAT32 file format, since that format can be both read and written to by either type of system (and *nix as well). However, when Final Cut attempts to save to the external drive, the files come out empty (0kb). All other programs (at least all others I've tested) are able to write to the drive without an issue, and some of the scratch files Final Cut creates are present and non-empty on the drive. I've been unable to find any information about a similar problem on Apple's website or through Google. I do know, however, that this same issue has been encountered with other Macs in the Digital Arts lab of my university. It seems to occur when the file system of the drive is different from the file system on which Final Cut resides. Has anyone else encountered this issue, and if so, is there a patch available? My assumption is that the issue is with the Final Cut software and not with the drive or operating system (since other programs function as expected). Any help, including an educated guess, would be greatly appreciated.

-Jake

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    You might want to check at the 2-pop forums . . . they used to be a great forum for anything involved with FCP and video production

I think it might take awhile for them to answer as their forums are dying ever since they started demanding registration, and because they simply have too many topics categories. . .

But if anyone knows the answer they will e on those boards.

ADDRESS HERE
  • Reply 2 of 4
    wow! I've finally found some one who is going through the same thing I'm going through, except you seem to have noticed that your autosave files are empty before erasing the only copy of your file. If you think you're confused now, try memory retrival from a Mac with a PC formatted external drive. Sorry that I don't have any suggestions, but now I'm switching my autosave preferences to save on my hard drive.

Thanks,

Wayne
  • Reply 3 of 4
    It probably has to do witht he file size max on Fat 32. I reformated to HFS+ so i could save my 10 gig backup files but i just can't read them on my winblows. I know that doesn't help you but it's a start
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I'm not sure if it's all the same when dealing with size on these drives, but I've got over fifteen hours of video on the drive and that part of it works like a charm. For whatever reason the program files themselves that are around seven to eight MB are the ones that come up as zero KB. It's a weird bug/glitch but I read about it happening to someone else on the two-pop forum as well.

Who knows?