I *want* to like XCode

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I sure many of you are like me, you have a coding style that you're comfortable with, and I'm sure the first thing you do when checking out a new IDE is to tweak its editor settings to fit in with your style.

Well since day one (XCode beta) I have been fighting with XCode and it keeps winning

I'm hoping someone out there can point me in the direction of the "idiot" button that is preventing me from liking XCode.

Here's what happens to me. I go to the "Indentation" panel in preferences. If I turn on Syntax Aware Indenting, I end up with crap like this:

Code:

public class MyJavaClass

{

if( value == true )

{ // WTF is this? I like my braces to line up with the opening

} // of the block, I have to backspace this all the time

}

I will also run into instances, that for my own reasons, i want to add an extra tab to line something up and the editor will flat out not let me. It's like as long as I have that damn syntax-aware-editing turned on, XCode has decided where everything will be, and if I try to do something different, sometimes it won't let me. Further, I wish there was more control so I could "tell it" how I want certain things lined up (a la Eclipse, which provides fantastic formatting control IMHO).

The only alternative is to turn the damn feature off, and then it becomes as dumb as dirt and I'm constantly having to tab to set up braces.

So am I just missing something, or is XCode really that big of a pain when it comes to setting up one's preferred formatting?

NOTE: sometimes the damn thing lines up correctly (in code sample above) and I'm not forced to backspace, but why is it so inconsistent???