Altering extensions for more than one file

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Not too sure anymore if this is the right place, but I've got a short and stupid question. Is there a way to alter the extensions for more than one file through the OS (i.e. m4a or m4p to mp3), or do I need to find a piece of software to pull that off?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    vandewaalsvandewaals Posts: 450member
    I don't know of a batch way to do it in the Finder, only by individual files via Get Info...

Are you sure you want to do that? Changing the file extensions may just confuse whatever app usually opens them. If you are doing it to change which app opens them, you can just change the Open With under Get Info.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    republicrepublic Posts: 168member
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought.

The reason I asked was because I was considering a Cowen iAudio M3 for a digital music player. It's a pretty slick unit, but with apparently limited Macintosh support and apparently no support for the AAC format, which was the format for all 324 songs in my still-growing library. Altering files one by one isn't a fun way to spend the night, ya know?

I'm sure I don't want to do that. I'll stick with plan A and get an iPod tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Edit: I bit the bullet and went to SoHo. I don't regret at all coming home with a 15 GB iPod.