These website password snatching virus...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So if you do the online banking thing, and the transactions are typically done over encrypted SSL, how can these viruses pick up any useful information? Is it breaking through the SSL somehow, or is it intercepting info that occurs outside of SSL modes which may or may not contain sensitive information?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

So if you do the online banking thing, and the transactions are typically done over encrypted SSL, how can these viruses pick up any useful information? Is it breaking through the SSL somehow, or is it intercepting info that occurs outside of SSL modes which may or may not contain sensitive information?

It logs the password before it is encrypted for transmittion. It effects IE for windows, so I will say here what I say in real life: "If you want hakers to take your personal info then use IE, if you care a whit about security, get firefox, or if you like AOL tie ins, get nutscrape (A.K.A. netscape)."

now-a-days I wouldnt use IE for more than checking the weather...but then again, i could just use weather bug

PS. apple, you saved the day for music on windows, now give us safari for windows, you would be surprised how many people will not use mozilla because it isnt from a trusted computer/tech company, lots of people dont get open source, Apple does, Please give us safari.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Please give us safari.

Please get a Mac.

• Reply 3 of 7
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    I can check the weather just fine with firefox and mozilla.

Not that weather.com or weatherbug can ever get it right for we urbanites
  • Reply 4 of 7
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

It logs the password before it is encrypted for transmittion. It effects IE for windows, so I will say here what I say in real life: "If you want hakers to take your personal info then use IE, if you care a whit about security, get firefox, or if you like AOL tie ins, get nutscrape (A.K.A. netscape)."

Lemme see if I understand you correctly- I take it you are saying that the virus camps out at the corporate website, but jumps over to infect any Windows computers that happen to login to the website. Once it is on the person's computer, it logs all the sensitive info. So that is how it essentially circumvents the encryption security of a typical "secured" internet link to a website that has been "compromised"?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Please get a Mac.

I will, ASAP.

BTW: if ya find the formula to make $$ grow on trees, I will be switching all the sooner, all of my PC upgrade plans are canceled, I want that G5 bad baby.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

Lemme see if I understand you correctly- I take it you are saying that the virus camps out at the corporate website, but jumps over to infect any Windows computers that happen to login to the website. Once it is on the person's computer, it logs all the sensitive info. So that is how it essentially circumvents the encryption security of a typical "secured" internet link to a website that has been "compromised"?

Here is a flow chart based on my understanding...

you type --> bug logs --> encryption happens...bank recieves/decrypts...

not sure how it spreads but it is a bitch.

My problem is convinceing my parents not to use IE to bank online, but they say "I don't like mozilla, and we run an antivirus and you scan for spyware so why worry."

Any pointers, other than the obvious, "tell 'em to go mac" which I have tried.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

I can check the weather just fine with firefox and mozilla.

Not that weather.com or weatherbug can ever get it right for we urbanites

the weather bug thing was a joke, in the windows world, it is known for spyware, so much so that let us just say BUG in the name is truth in advertising.