Kerry Picks Edwards as His Running Mate

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Kerry Picks Edwards as His Running Mate (NYT)

Seems like a logical choice to me. But I hope we don't lose Kickaha's vote now! Anyway, it'll be official soon: Kerry Edwards 2004.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 92
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    It's not official until the convention since only delegates can pick running mates. There will be a floor fight over this.

One thing is certain, if Edwards does become Kerry's running mate, he won't be getting my vote, especially now since Kerry has come out against abortion.

www.votenader.org
  • Reply 2 of 92
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Big Law is in the ticket.
  • Reply 3 of 92
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Big Law is in the ticket.

He does remind me of an RFK-esque Attorney General type
  • Reply 4 of 92
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Was RFK a filthy trial lawyer?
  • Reply 5 of 92
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Edwards is a good pick for Kerry. Probably his best choice. Scott, I agree he's Mr. Big Law. His real strength is his personality.

Existence: Kerry has not come out against abortion. He said that "he should not impose his beliefs". Are you actaully faulting him for his PERSONAL opposition to abortion? What about "freedom to chose", Existence?
  • Reply 6 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

It's not official until the convention since only delegates can pick running mates. There will be a floor fight over this.

One thing is certain, if Edwards does become Kerry's running mate, he won't be getting my vote, especially now since Kerry has come out against abortion.

www.votenader.org

a floor fight over the nominee's choice for V.P.? this isn't the thirties.

kerry's had everything locked up for months and his ducks should all be in a row with regards to the convention, it should run pretty smooth. (i.e. - boring)
  • Reply 7 of 92
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I was really hoping Kerry wouldn't cave to the 'populists' by picking Edwards but I was wrong. Wes Clark was back in Manchester, NH today for a rally, and was holding a press conference before a speech on foreign affairs at 11 AM. I thought this might point to him getting some kind of position but it obviously was not Vice President as I had hoped.
  • Reply 8 of 92
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    So I turn on the TV this morning, and on CNN they've got a graphic up with the Bush/Cheney '04 campaign's talking points about Edwards. Trial lawyer, doom and gloom, tax hikes, soft on defense, etc. That was my first media exposure to Kerry/Edwards.
  • Reply 9 of 92
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Edwards is a good pick for Kerry. Probably his best choice. Scott, I agree he's Mr. Big Law. His real strength is his personality.

Existence: Kerry has not come out against abortion. He said that "he should not impose his beliefs". Are you actaully faulting him for his PERSONAL opposition to abortion? What about "freedom to chose", Existence?

Impressive statements SDW

Fellows
  • Reply 10 of 92
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Wow, Kerry and I actually agree on something. And it is abortion, of all things!
  • Reply 11 of 92
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I think this is great news. I thought Edwards ran a very good campaign with a very positive spin. And top class speaker. Managed right his positivity will dwarf the negative spin against the democrats. Couple that with his southern and down to earth image he is the perfect compliment

So strategially he would be a good choice. But what with his politic? His campaign focused not so much on the middle class as those below it. Not excatly the best strategy in the race for the middle but very bold AND the right thing to say morally. Why is it that everybody wants to nurse the middle class like it has been mistreated?

What is left is his history as a trial lawyer. Big deal. What counts is his policies.

Face it. I liked Wes and felt sorry for him in the debates but he just didn´t have the political bite and would have been crushed in the debates. And Dean would not exactly have made Kerry more electable among the voters. It was the best choice IMO.

About abortions. I think most people feel that was. Every abortion is regrettable but my morals should not be imposed on everybody else. Much more can be done to aid those who want abortions if they chose otherwise but in the end its the choice of the woman and thats that.

And I agree with Fellow.
  • Reply 12 of 92
    What's the problem with him being a lawyer?
  • Reply 13 of 92
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Isn´t that the trendy thing right now? To hate lawyers? Don´t you remember the scene in "mars attacks" where DeVito is fried by the ugly green ones?
  • Reply 14 of 92
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

www.votenader.org

From your support of Nader it doesn't look like he would have got your vote anyway. But let me ask you. Would you rather have someone who's against abortion and all the other things that are wrong?

Because if many abstain or vote for an independent that's what will happen for sure.

I'm not trying to put down Nader I just see the odds.
  • Reply 15 of 92
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Isn´t that the trendy thing right now? To hate lawyers?

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers." Wm. Shakespeare, 400 years ago.
  • Reply 16 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Isn´t that the trendy thing right now? To hate lawyers? Don´t you remember the scene in "mars attacks" where DeVito is fried by the ugly green ones?

It's been trendy for a long time.

Back To The Future PT. 2 : " Justice moves swiftly in the future now that they've abolished all lawyers ".
  • Reply 17 of 92
    I guess having someone in the White House who knows law is a bad thing.
  • Reply 18 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers." Wm. Shakespeare, 400 years ago.

Good one!
  • Reply 19 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

No one here really said that but they might think about that.
  • Reply 20 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

everybody hates lawyers these days, except their own, that is.