setting up webpage or website on mac with panther

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Just currious if I am overlooking something real stupid here..

I am trying to set up a webpage and have done many, but for some reason I was trying to post it on my mac running panther and I can't seem to get it to work.

Here is what I did so far.

I set up the airport to forward port 80 to the ip of my mac.

I enabled personal web sharing on the mac.

Made my index.htm page and placed it in the sites folder of my user.

When I click on the index.htm page it shows the url: file://localhost/users/myuser id/sites/index.html

all that seems fine my hyperlinks etc.. work.

Now when I go to any browser mac or pc, I put in the ip of the ISP and I get a message saying that the apache web server software was done successfully but I dont see my webpage.

Any idea what the next step is here?

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I think you need to use your IP and the /~username to get to the page in your users site folder.

If you want to access it without the username, put the files in Library/Webserver/Documents
  • Reply 2 of 4
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    When web hosting is now dirt cheap there really is no point to host your site on your own computer/server
  • Reply 3 of 4
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

When web hosting is now dirt cheap there really is no point to host your site on your own computer/server

I agree with you. I curently have all my websites hosted on the ISP, but I wanted to set up a page so family members could grab some wedding photos that are too large to email.

I have an FTP server, but trying to tell people from the older generation how to install there ftp program etc... would be difficult so if I can make it easy for them by just giving them a webpage to go to and download the pics there thats better

DD
  • Reply 4 of 4
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    I just tried to dump it in the webserver folder and it made no difference.

here is the ip if you want to see what the index.html page is showing..

thanks

DD