Sony music, Apple got lucky.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
well, today I went to McDonalds and had a tasty bigmac meal, thus I got a code for Sony music so I figured I would let the Apple users know what it is like and how it stacks up to itms in real life, so here goes:

1: I downloaded the software, this was the first and the last normal part of the experience.

2: After running the worst and most hideous installer I have ever seen, sans aol, it made me reboot, not at MY CONVENIANCS, but, in the words of a bratty 6 year old, "RIGHT NOW".

3: so I rebooted right then and there (as if I had a say)

4: after reboot, I launched the software, with it's hard-to-navigate, poorly designed, napsteresk interface and proceeded to set up my account and enter the code from the wrapper.

5: I searched and listen to the previews which were in one case so poorly encoded that it sounded as if my speakers would blow due to the frequency shifts.

6: now it is time for the showdown: iTunes verses Sony connect:

the song: So Far so Good

the artist: Thornley

the big surprise here was how good the Sony track sounded, a little less than 128k aac but very close.

If Sony would have had a better interface and used their codec at 128k, it could have blown itunes out of the water, but they didn't so they, like napster, music match, wall*mart and all of the rest will be second class citizens in the digital music revolution, Sony, very uncharacteristically, has failed to stand out from the riff-raff and thus doomed its self to mediocrity

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Dear god, man, don't you have a spell checker on that thing?!?
  • Reply 2 of 19
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Could it be??? The return of Michaelm8000???
  • Reply 3 of 19
    how did apple get lucky?

you may answer at your conveniancs.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    So essentially you're saying that if Sony didn't suck, they'd be good.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Sony has always sucked at software. That's why the thought of a merger between Apple Sony would be horrible.

Sony is a company out of control and it's costing them big. They seem to have these factions of the company that do what they want rather than what's best for the company. There is no unification.

Game over. The kids buying iPods were in diapers when the Walkman meant something. I knew Sony was screwing up when they botched minidisc and DAT. Then they came out with lame stuff like Digital8 and MicroMV and I knew they were finished as a CE power. Blu Ray is looking hot but I'm sure Sony will find a way to totally botch that as well. Sadly.

Apple can't lose unless they just stupid. The perception is iTunes is the best store and the iPod is the best player. Apple has to walk the fine line between great features and bloat. They have to push the iPod everywhere and make partnerships that make sense.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Their new Walkman won't play MP3.

ATRAC? LOL most people when they hear that think you just said "8 track." Yeah. Their new Walkman plays 8 tracks! hah. I never even liked the PS2 but at least it was decent and standards based. Their Handycams use nonstandard Digital8. Their music devices use nonstandard MiniDiscs with Nonstandard ATRAC. Their cameras use NONSTANDARD Memory Stick of which there are now a bunch of different variations, that is annoying to sell at Sears and have to explain to customers. BluRay is nonstandard, sure I like it better than HD-DVD but it's a Betamax. They really haven't made anything good besides the Walkman, and didn't they invent flat screen CRTs? Nintendo actually invented the Playstation but unfortunately gave the design to Sony. Actually their new T1 and W1 cameras are real nice. But it's not like they pioneered digital cameras. Our favorite company did! Their TVs and audio equipment aren't bad either but overpriced. Their stock is going to go way down then maybe up if they get a clue and use industry standards. Hey at least they like FireWire!
  • Reply 7 of 19
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Are you implying that Sony Connect tunes sound worse because the bitrate is lower? The Sony Connect downloads are encoded at 132 kbps...a higher bitrate than iTMS uses.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

...Nintendo actually invented the Playstation but unfortunately gave the design to Sony...

Just one correction. The Playstation was originally a add-on CD-ROM device for the Super Nintendo. It was mostly designed by Sony in cooperation with Nintendo. It wasn't until last minute when Nintendo canned the project and made Sony waste its billions of dollars of R&D. Determined not to make the project a complete waste, Sony licensed a CPU (from Hitachi, I believe) and developed a new graphics engine. The result was the Playstation that we now know.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    Sorry, duplicate post. Trying to use the delete button but it's not working.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Now you're going to tell us that you can clearly hear that 4 kbps difference, aren't you?

Actually I think he was just telling that the bitrate was not lower on Sony Connect than on iTMS...
  • Reply 11 of 19
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

So essentially you're saying that if Sony didn't suck, they'd be good.

• Reply 12 of 19
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Sony has the audacity to claim that 48kbps ATRAC is as good as 128kbps ACC. With that logic, they state their new 20GB drive based Walkman is better than the Apple iPod because it can store more songs and costs only 400 US $. The device can only play ATRAC and no other format.

• Reply 13 of 19
    twitchytwitchy Posts: 9member
    I think this MUST be the best thing to happen to the Sony Walkman EVER!

http://www.retropod.com/

This may just save Sony's pathetic attempt at portable music.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Are you implying that Sony Connect tunes sound worse because the bitrate is lower? The Sony Connect downloads are encoded at 132 kbps...a higher bitrate than iTMS uses.

No they sound worse because ATRAC3 does a crap job of encoding
  • Reply 15 of 19
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The One to Rescue

Actually I think he was just telling that the bitrate was not lower on Sony Connect than on iTMS...

Clearly I was implying the difference in bitrate meant Sony Connect downloads sound either better or worse. I don't know which it is, but I can definitely tell the difference. tonton and his damned Vulcan logic.

He's right, AND he has sex every night.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

how did apple get lucky?

you may answer at your conveniancs.

Apple got lucky because if Sony would have went with the standard bitrate of 128, the quality woulda blown itunes out of the water, imho, but they sisnt, and like apple their trax work only with their player. and the gui is crappy at best.

basicly, if this would have lived up to the quality that sony is knownfor, well, it woulda been bad for apple, but sony didnt care about quality on this one, thus apple got lucky.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I had read that it was 64k ATRACK, so what is it if not ATRACK?

if it is 132, then sony really sux, ignore the whole apple lucky part.