iMac: Bondi Blue

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Good morning. Just wanted to know if the iMac (original) is upgradable, OS-wise? I checked the apple site and I could not find it. Thanks.

AJ

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    If you have 128mb of ram in it you can get 10.3.4 to run.. but it will not be snappy at all... good for a little p2p'er and thats about it... saying that tho I am surprised by how well mine does run in x.3

p.s. a stripped down 10.3.x install will leave you about 2.5gb on the original 4gb hdd
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Are you asking if it will run OSX ... Panther ?

Yes, It will ... you will need more RAM than it came with though... but that's easy enough. (add at least 256MB... it'll take a 512 MB low-profile SDRAM if you can find it)

I am running a 266 iMac (nearly identical) ... it is running Panther (10.3.4) with only 192 of RAM ... I have also upgraded the HD to an 80GB 7200rpm model. (you can also replace the CD-ROM with a CD-RW if you wish.)

There is also available, a processor upgrade ... either a faster G3 AND a Firewire port, or a G4 and NO Firewire. I haven't done either of those ... you don't have to spend much more than the price of the upgrade to get an eMac.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    arequinaarequina Posts: 3member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsxrboy

If you have 128mb of ram in it you can get 10.3.4 to run.. but it will not be snappy at all... good for a little p2p'er and thats about it... saying that tho I am surprised by how well mine does run in x.3

p.s. a stripped down 10.3.x install will leave you about 2.5gb on the original 4gb hdd

====

By installing 10.3.x with max ram, plus, cable internet, will this be a good computer for browsing?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    "Good for browsing" depends on what you're used to. I have a Rev B iMac similar to yours (with 320 MB RAM), and it's running Panther fine -- for a 233 MHz G3 with a 6MB video card. I use it occasionally for browsing with a cable modem and it does well using Safari, as long as I'm not trying to, for example, play a large-format movie trailer.

If you're used to any variety of G4 Mac, you'll notice the lack of speed. If not, ignorance is bliss, as they say!

(Reminds me of the old Mac IIsi I used to have. It was so slow rendering Web pages that it couldn't keep up with the speed of a 33.6kb modem. Of course, most computers in those days were powered by wood-burning CPUs.)
  • Reply 5 of 6
    arequinaarequina Posts: 3member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Voxapps

"Good for browsing" depends on what you're used to. I have a Rev B iMac similar to yours (with 320 MB RAM), and it's running Panther fine -- for a 233 MHz G3 with a 6MB video card. I use it occasionally for browsing with a cable modem and it does well using Safari, as long as I'm not trying to, for example, play a large-format movie trailer.

If you're used to any variety of G4 Mac, you'll notice the lack of speed. If not, ignorance is bliss, as they say!

(Reminds me of the old Mac IIsi I used to have. It was so slow rendering Web pages that it couldn't keep up with the speed of a 33.6kb modem. Of course, most computers in those days were powered by wood-burning CPUs.)

Thanks. It's mostly for the kids.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    My iMac 233, 160MB RAM is now acting as a web and backup server only.

It's very slow for surfing website... maybe more RAM will helps.