"PowerScreens" leading to "iMonitors" & Headless iMac?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
This just hit me. The new screens are big, very big. What are they telling us?

I'm making this up as I go folks so take it for what it is

here's and idea:

? Headless iMac

? "iMonitors" versus "PowerMonitors"

? iMonitors has a "Dock" where they charge their battery

? iMonitors use the new WireLess FireWire standard to stream video signal from next gen. iMac

? iMonitors have touch-sensitive screens ...and a pen

? Control your next gen. iMac playing iTunes through Airport Express

? buy more next gen. iMac and use xGrid in Tiger for home clustering for those iDVD's

? ....will I ever get any sleep after this????

Sincerly

Zebeaune

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    hey, looks good enough to me, i'll buy one...where do i sign??
  • Reply 2 of 36
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Touch screens are SO CHEAP now and FireWireless video would be SO GOOD for playing games and such, it has unlimited bandwidth and is SUPER fast!

Sorry but I think you're just a few years too early to expect such things- as for 'today' none of what you said is "aimed at", "priced at" nor "good for" a consumer priced box and not ever realistic for a PRO priced box - and in some cases 'doable at any price' (firewireless video for example). Streaming movies is one thing but using it with the resolution and speed of a todays computer displays? Not a chance.

Dave
  • Reply 3 of 36
    david_ocdavid_oc Posts: 90member
    We can always dream, right?

At any rate, having a 20" minimum (or should that be $1,299 min) seems to be pushing it a bit, even for Apple (whom I love, admire and own a stake in ). I know that there was the same chat when they cut the 15", but a 17" can still realistically fit on any desk, whereas 20" is just too big for some people.

Of course it's possible (nay, probably) that Apple have realised that a lot of people buy 3rd party screens and that those who buy Apple Displays do it for the style/logo/scynchronisation in which case ther're less price elastic and will buy the 20" anyway. To be honest, I probably fall into that category myself
  • Reply 4 of 36
    Anyway, even without going as far as Zab The Fab, the iMonitors idea would make sense, if an headless iMac ever gets released : there would be a need to provide monitors for reasonable prices and with design matching those of the iMacs. I'd say 15", 17" and 20" with display quality being less stunning than with the Cinema displays, and with prices from $399 to $799.

Anyway, I really don't see headless iMacs being released anytime soon, so...
  • Reply 5 of 36
    zab the fabzab the fab Posts: 303member
    Well, maybe the tech is not quite there yet to actually do this, but then again there's dual WiFi connections is there not? I don't know if this can be done yet, but Apple has surprised us before

If a new line of iMonitors come out I don't think there will be any 15 inch. 17' should be the minimum, but I think maybe Apple would look into other new innovating things for their displays. The computer has gotten a lot of new stuff over the years, a lot, displays on the other hand has only gone from CRT to flat...and then ofcause the Apple thing: USB and now FireWire.

Maybe it's about time to rethink the whole thing. Could they become portable with a dock for charging, is the tech there yet? Could they be used in other ways?

The iMac really pushed the whole display thing a bit forward, but what is next? .....maybe nothing is "next"... what do you all think?
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Touch screens are SO CHEAP now and FireWireless video would be SO GOOD for playing games and such, it has unlimited bandwidth and is SUPER fast!

Sorry but I think you're just a few years too early to expect such things- as for 'today' none of what you said is "aimed at", "priced at" nor "good for" a consumer priced box and not ever realistic for a PRO priced box - and in some cases 'doable at any price' (firewireless video for example). Streaming movies is one thing but using it with the resolution and speed of a todays computer displays? Not a chance.

Dave

Does anyone know about any current or upcomming technologies that could make this possible?
  • Reply 7 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zab The Fab

Well, maybe the tech is not quite there yet to actually do this, but then again there's dual WiFi connections is there not? I don't know if this can be done yet, but Apple has surprised us before

If a new line of iMonitors come out I don't think there will be any 15 inch. 17' should be the minimum, but I think maybe Apple would look into other new innovating things for their displays. The computer has gotten a lot of new stuff over the years, a lot, displays on the other hand has only gone from CRT to flat...and then ofcause the Apple thing: USB and now FireWire.

Maybe it's about time to rethink the whole thing. Could they become portable with a dock for charging, is the tech there yet? Could they be used in other ways?

The iMac really pushed the whole display thing a bit forward, but what is next? .....maybe nothing is "next"... what do you all think?

Agree on the 15"... that's too cheap for Apple, you're right on that point.

Portable screens? If that means they should be wireless, then no, the tech is not here yet : wireless connections are not fast enough to carry a video signal required for feeding a monitor.

The big next thing will certainly be OLED displays, in the field of technology... then maybe wireless... in a few years
  • Reply 8 of 36
    Quote:

Does anyone know about any current or upcomming technologies that could make this possible?

Actually, some research is done about very fast wireless transmissions, but the development of the technology is at an extremely early stage, and a product based on it is not likely to be released before 2010.

Here's a link (in French, but there may be an English version too) : http://www.ensta.fr/%7Ehcs/index.html
  • Reply 9 of 36
    alephaleph Posts: 15member
    Quote:

This just hit me. The new screens are big, very big. What are they telling us?

I'm making this up as I go folks so take it for what it is

here's and idea:

? Headless iMac

? "iMonitors" versus "PowerMonitors"

? iMonitors has a "Dock" where they charge their battery

? iMonitors use the new WireLess FireWire standard to stream video signal from next gen. iMac

? iMonitors have touch-sensitive screens ...and a pen

? Control your next gen. iMac playing iTunes through Airport Express

? buy more next gen. iMac and use xGrid in Tiger for home clustering for those iDVD's

? ....will I ever get any sleep after this????

Sincerly

Zebeaune

Actually big monitors only means NO headless iMac.

You cannot expect all iMac users to buy a 20". Furthermore, this would give Apple a 5 displays lineup, not very likely.

Personally I even think we will not see the 17" much longer, it just doesn't fit next to a G5.

It would be nice though to see a little bit more choice in the iMac line. Wireless would be a nice thouch also.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aleph

...Personally I even think we will not see the 17" much longer, it just doesn't fit next to a G5....

No, but the new display's don't fit in with the consumer styling either. The fact that the 17" was not discontinued and price was not reduced (even silently) even though it was not updated is peculiar to me. I think that this could point to a new consumer product without a monitor and consumer monitor line-up of a 17" and 20" LCD's (lower resolution than the "pro" of course).

I dont think that this means that the iMac is dead, but Apple has to do something to attract the other 95-7% consumers in the computer market that is not purchasing Macs or their market share will dwindle further, and it is obvious tha the iMac G4 is not doing this.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by aleph

Quote:

Actually big monitors only means NO headless iMac.

You cannot expect all iMac users to buy a 20". Furthermore, this would give Apple a 5 displays lineup, not very likely.

I think you forget something here. What about all those PC users who could switch with less money up front and just use their old screen to begin with?

• Reply 12 of 36
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Sounds great...for an iMac in the future. The iMac 5G maybe?

For now.

Get it cheap. Get it where the original iMac was. Keep it simple. Make it colourful. Make it flexible.

Sure, I'd like to see a 17 alu screen that is bundled with iMac 3G.

Personally, I can't see the sense of discontinuing the 15 and 17 inch LCD monitors. Choice. I like Apple keeping things simple. But 17 inch lack of Alu was premature. Prices are getting good on 17 inch and it would have allowed a value proposition.

But I'd like the option to buy the iMac 3G separate, headless with agp slot.

Cheap. Flexible. Powerful.

Style? Cheap chic.

Go on, Apple. You can do it...

Seems Apple must be fairly confident about the new iMac if they're showboating about its 'delay'...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 13 of 36
    mandricardmandricard Posts: 486member
    If Apple releases a "headless" iMac, I will take a picture of myself eating my hockeypuck mouse and post it on these boards.... if I can still find my hockeypuck, thaty is.

iMac =All in One.

1) An aluminum screen doesn't look like an apple product from afar. It looks generic. The iMac is as much an advertisement as it is a machine.

2) iMac is indeed the computer for the rest of us; therefore no pain in the neck wire-spaghetti behind it.

3) Expandability is not what the iMac is about unless through peripherals. It is a single solution (e.g. the i in iMac). Choice in screensize is all well and good, but that's what the iMac offers now.

Remember, it is for the rest of us. People who upgrade video cards, add pci-midi cards, add ultra-scsi cards, etc. are not the target purchasers for iMac.

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 14 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by The One to Rescue

Agree on the 15"... that's too cheap for Apple, you're right on that point.

Portable screens? If that means they should be wireless, then no, the tech is not here yet : wireless connections are not fast enough to carry a video signal required for feeding a monitor.

The big next thing will certainly be OLED displays, in the field of technology... then maybe wireless... in a few years

Viewsonic already makes one.

http://img21.photobucket.com/albums/...10_175x175.jpg

10 or 15inch models, both touch sensitive. Currently Winders only :-(
  • Reply 15 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigMcLargehuge

Viewsonic already makes one.

http://img21.photobucket.com/albums/...10_175x175.jpg

10 or 15inch models, both touch sensitive. Currently Winders only :-(

ok, so now we can move on with the talk about a headless iMac with a portable display. Thank you for this info.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    Right now I'm just hoping that Apple puts their efforts (and component money) into the inside of the new iMac. G5 (at least 2.0 in the top of the range), fast FSB, faster memory, SATA drives, etc. I believe that there will be a reduction in "external" components (no fantastic arm, no aluminum), but that the design will be a heart stopper.

While I would love a touch screen I think that the state of technology, costs and the directions being taken in the OS X development will push it back a while.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    face it, the tablet is failing, the thing you describe id essencialy a tablet, with a base station, I would not buy one, but i would buy an i-paq like device to remotely access/controll files and media on the *mac
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

face it, the tablet is failing, the thing you describe id essencialy a tablet, with a base station, I would not buy one, but i would buy an i-paq like device to remotely access/controll files and media on the *mac

I don't see it's a tablet. Why would you not buy one? if you wouldn't like to take your monitor to your sofa...just leave it in front of the iMac in the dock.

In other words the advantages of a portable monitor (that you don't like) can be ignored very easily

So now you have the new iMac standing in front of you on your desk, the iMonitor in the dock, just like a normal computer...what's wrong with that?

A tablet has limited OS, internal CPU, hard drive etc etc. This would be a detachable monitor that you could only carry so far away from your "Base station"
  • Reply 19 of 36
    802.11n will have tripple the bandwith...in 2006! This has just been announced!
  • Reply 20 of 36
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Agere is trying to bump 802.11n's bandwidth to 500Mbps, which is impressive, but still far behind the bandwidth required by DVI (let alone dual-link DVI).

It can carry an HDTV signal because those are compressed, which requires the receiver (in this case, the screen) to have the computational horsepower to decompress the signal. This is not a prohibitive restriction, certainly, but it will raise the price and the complexity of the device to at least the price of a similarly sized LCD HDTV. Make the screen touch-sensitive and you're adding on another $500 or so, minimum.

This, along with FireWire over 802.15.3, is great news for AV devices in general, though. Finally there'll be enough bandwidth to get rid of a lot of wires, and a lot of mutually incompatible and variously lossy plugs and jacks.