Panther upgrade problem!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello,

I just received my copy of Panther in the mail today. Am trying to upgrade on a 1ghz 17" iMac, from 10.2.8, using the Archive option so I don't have to resore my users and backup files, etc. Have repaired disk permissions, but the installed keeps saying "problem installing software". Tried running fsck, it says that the boot volume is unrepairable. I have only had the computer 11 months, and have not had any problems running Jaguar, so I'm not sure what is damaged? I have the bad feeling this means I have to do a clean install...

I have enough CD-R's to backup my files, (no external HD yet!) but what about restoring my programs that came with the iMac? Quicken, OttoMatic(for the kids), etc.? Can I just restore the software from the iMac disk without re-installing 10.2.x? Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPoster

Tried running fsck, it says that the boot volume is unrepairable.

You're not very lucky, are you? You should immediately get DiskWarrior and let it repair the disk. You should immediately back up your documents. Which is the first thing to do? I suggest you first back up your files, then repair the disk with DiskWarrior, then check your back-up for integrity. It's possible, if the problems are severe enough, that the file system will corrupt the back-up (technically, files can be read with errors and once they are read with errors, their copies will retain those errors). Or, alternatively, you can check your original files after the repair and if some are corrupt, resort to the back-up.

Quote:

I have the bad feeling this means I have to do a clean install...

A clean install is a good thing?. In fact, there's nothing better than a clean install. Seriously. If you had an external drive or another mac, you could back up your data, clean install and restore the data. Panther likes clean installs...

Quote:

Can I just restore the software from the iMac disk without re-installing 10.2.x?

Of course, if that's a software restore disk. It either has visible installer in which you can select what to install or hidden disk image(s) which you can mount from the Terminal. If you aren't very friendly with it, it's time to say hello to command-line interface.

1. Insert the Restore CD/DVD.

2. Launch Terminal from /Applications/Utilities/.

3. Type cd, followed by a space. Mind case because it's important. Drag-n-drop the Restore CD/DVD icon onto the Terminal window. Press Enter to complete the command.

4. Type cd .images and press Enter. Type ls and press Enter. It will list the hidden disk images. For example, my G5 Restore DVD has: ArtDirTK.dmg, FileMaker.dmg, OmniGraffle.dmg, PhotoshopPlugin.dmg, DevTools.dmg, GraphicConverter.dmg, OmniOutliner.dmg, iDVD1.dmg, FAXstf.dmg, OS9General.dmg, PMG5XHelp.dmg, iDiskUtility.dmg.

5. To mount a particular disk image, for example that with Classic, type open OS9General.dmg and press Enter.