Plextor PX-708UF (DVD drive)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Will the Plextor PX-708UF (DVD drive) work with a Mac G3 processor chip at a 466Mhz rate?

I?ve thoroughly searched the ?Net and found no specifications that address this. I posed the G3 question to Plextor Sales and received a response that a minimum OS 9.1 is required. I submitted the question again and suggested it be passed on to Plextor Tech Support and haven?t received a response yet. I would use a little more patience but I have a time restraint and need to order a DVD drive ASAP.

Anyway, it appears that this drive is selling well and because it?s Mac compatible I?m guessing that some Mac user out there may have some experience with this drive?s compatibility or incompatibility with G3-466Mhz.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ic1maleic1male Posts: 121member
    I'm in the same position - I was wondering if the Plextor 708UF2 will work with an Apple eMac computer using Firewire.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    if not then return it

generally plextor drives are top notch

im using one in my win2k & linux box with 0 issues

no reason why they shouldnt work with os x
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by ic1male

I'm in the same position - I was wondering if the Plextor 708UF2 will work with an Apple eMac computer using Firewire.

A follow-up to my initial inquiry:

I received a second response from Plextor which assured me that the drive would work with my Beige G3, with no mention of the G3's 466 Mhz processor. Based on that, I ordered the drive. It was absolutely "plug and play" (at least as far as CDs go -- I have not tried to burn a DVD yet).

I set the burning speed on "best" and let it determine the speed. I've timed it at under 4 minutes. By the way, I'm running OSX.2 and FireWire. It's my first CD/DVD external drive experience. My only other experience was with an internal (factory installed) Sony (Windows run) drive. My Mac-Plextor set up seems faster at putting the music on the hard drive and burning it to disc. I'm very pleased.

So while a minimum processor speed is necessary when using this Plextor drive with Windows, the only requirement for Mac is OS9.1.

Assuming that the models PX-708UF and PX-708UF2 are basically identical, it should be no problem with an eMac.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    ic1maleic1male Posts: 121member
    I read all sorts of things though that if you don't buy an Apple drive then apps like iDVD and iTunes won't burn. You need a drive with Apple firmware or something?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    You should be able to add basic support for the drive's burning abilities with a utility called Patchburn. It might be worth noting that the newest Plextor DVD burners really aren't anything special, and they're more expensive than others.

I just bought a Pioneer DVR-108 (bare) for $100 from NewEgg. it burns "16x" DVD recordables, 4x rewritables and 4x dual-layer discs. I put the 16x in quotes because at the moment it performs best at 12x.

It's probably your best option if you want native support from OS X in a future release. One good thing about the Plextor drives is that they do burn CDs faster than the Pioneers, but so do Lite-Ons and Sonys.