Re: intermittent loss of connection with airport

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Here are 64 other people having the same problem. There is a random loss of connection with airport (mine is snow).

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    allinoneallinone Posts: 279member
    Quote:

Originally posted by [email protected]

Here are 64 other people having the same problem. There is a random loss of connection with airport (mine is snow).

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

You have to tell us more about your particular situation.

The forum discusses many different problems and suggests a large number of fixes.

What have you tried?

Does your computer lose connection to other base stations or just your own?

Does your base station drop connections to all clients or just the one?

Best,

AIO
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Thanks for writing back. There is also a pismo powerbook on the network and it has the same problem. I have tried turning off the IPV6. There is a strong signal, all the way to the right. There is no interference from other cordless phones, garage door openers, etc. I have tried changing channels with the same result. The problem seems to occur when first connected. The longer the connection, the less the problem happens.

Anything I haven't tried?

Thanks for your help,

Chris
  • Reply 3 of 7
    isilorisilor Posts: 10member
    I was having similar AirPort problems. I did two things:

1. Told airport to connect to specific my network instead of looking for networks.

2. In the Network control panel moved by bluetooth entry to the bottom and the airport entry to the top.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Isilor
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Thanks for responding.

1. Told airport to connect to specific my network instead of looking for networks.

How do you do this? Do you mean that in the internet connect window you have selected the name of your network?

2. In the Network control panel moved by bluetooth entry to the bottom and the airport entry to the top.

Airport is the only active option. All the rest are turned off so there is nothing to move to the top.

Chris
  • Reply 5 of 7
    isilorisilor Posts: 10member
    Quote:

Originally posted by [email protected]

Thanks for responding.

How do you do this? Do you mean that in the internet connect window you have selected the name of your network?

Airport is the only active option. All the rest are turned off so there is nothing to move to the top.

Chris

hi Chris,

Yup, open Internet Connect, select the Airport icon, and then from the Network drop-down menu, choose the specific network.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

isilor
  • Reply 6 of 7
    birtybirty Posts: 1member
    I have had the same problem for a long time now... and because of that problem i don't use AirPort anymore.

I live on campus and I leech internet of my university's wireless setup. It is comprised of many access points and are all Cisco hardware. I get access to the internet using the Cisco VPN Client software.

AirPort will drop a connection for a second then pick-up a connection from another access point, then it will go back to the original... etc...

I could tolerate this if the AirPort software was friendly in this situation. However it IS NOT, (i think).

What i mean is that when a connection is dropped, it closes all established connections on the wireless network, causing the Cisco VPN client to stop.

Wireless cards should be able to 'hop' or drop a connection for a brief second and not break any connections... my Belkin USB wireless adaptor works fine in this situation. No problems, even works on my Linux box.

AirPort has other problems for me too, if the signal is changing a lot, (me moving the directional external antenna around), it will start causing the entire system to slow down, and iTunes will jitter, what a pain!, Turn AirPort off and back on to fix it.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    I had the exact problem on my g4 and g5. THis seemed to happen after I updated the airport utility from apple.

Another weird thing was that as soon as a cordless phone was picked up, the connection would drop. But on the g5, as soon as it would start up, there was no connection present, but on the g4 there was one. On the g4 i have a linksys card and on the g5 i have an airport card.

Basicly what I did was reset the airport from the top, for about 12-15 seconds.

After this all went well.

hope this helps

DD