Pizza Box Design - Who wants extra toppings?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
People talk about the pizza box design as if Apple are going to "glom" everything onto the back of the screen. The way I envisage a pizza box is a part open one. I'd post a rendering but I'm not allowed upload yet

Picture this:

You get your pizza box and open it so the lid part is nearly 90 degrees to the base. The guts of the machine are the pizza. The screen is on the lid, facing outwards. Obviously they have a covering over the pizza, and it can't have liquid cooling - anyone who's had a pizza delivery guy get the "pizza and beer" order mixed up will know why

P.S. I make no predictions about liquid cooling - that was a gag

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Oh wait, oh wait, I have this GREAT name for it...!!!!

Uhhmmm... Yes...

A "Power-book"!! It'll sell LOTS of units!!! I just know!! Your description fits perfectly!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    david_ocdavid_oc Posts: 90member
    Smartass.

Screen's on the outside of the box. There's no constraint about size (well, obviously, there are some).

There are advantages. Hard drives and removable media drives work better when they're parallel to the ground (or, if you're on a hill, then when gravity acts equally on each point on the drive, nyarhh).

Most importantly, Steve doesn't like the glom approach
  • Reply 3 of 7
    trevordtrevord Posts: 85member
    Quote:

You get your pizza box and open it so the lid part is nearly 90 degrees to the base. The guts of the machine are the pizza. The screen is on the lid, facing outwards.

Of course, then you lose the small footprint thing...

One good thing about a vertically-mounted setup is that you can get passive cooling, like in the Cube. Now, sure it won't be enough to cool the G5 completely, but I'm sure it would help the low-speed fans they'll surely use to cool the thing.

BTW, when Apple says "pizza box", they could just mean "super-slim tower". You know, kind of like a PowerBook standing on its side, like the PS2 with its vertical stand. Done much more stylishly, of course. So while the rest of the industry is going short-and-fat, Apple could go tall-and-slim.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by david_oc

Smartass.

Screen's on the outside of the box. There's no constraint about size (well, obviously, there are some).

There are advantages. Hard drives and removable media drives work better when they're parallel to the ground (or, if you're on a hill, then when gravity acts equally on each point on the drive, nyarhh).

Most importantly, Steve doesn't like the glom approach

ever seen the new peecee laptops that have rotateing screens? and besides without the KB and trackpad on top of the hardware, you would be driveing down the info super-highway with the hood up

dumbest idea ever
  • Reply 5 of 7
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TrevorD

Of course, then you lose the small footprint thing...

One good thing about a vertically-mounted setup is that you can get passive cooling, like in the Cube. Now, sure it won't be enough to cool the G5 completely, but I'm sure it would help the low-speed fans they'll surely use to cool the thing.

BTW, when Apple says "pizza box", they could just mean "super-slim tower". You know, kind of like a PowerBook standing on its side, like the PS2 with its vertical stand. Done much more stylishly, of course. So while the rest of the industry is going short-and-fat, Apple could go tall-and-slim.

Thats how I envisioned it... a pizza box standing on its side... the monitor being on the front... with a slot loading combo drive... or superdrive. Perhaps that would cost too much... so I'm not sure. It would obviously have to have a base... so put the superdrive down there. I actually am already fond of that design so I hope thats what they do.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    wooferwoofer Posts: 25member
    The Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh (TAM) I purchased in 1997 is the "Pizza Box" Mac. I'm typing this post on it now. If you remember it's an AIO vertical design . It has an LCD monitor, front mounted vertical CD-Rom drive, side loading floppy slot, fabulous sound from the Bose sound system with sub-woofer, TV tuner, FM radio tuner, plays music CDs. I'm hoping the new Imac (Twentieth Anniversary Mac II) will be a similar design. I think the TAM is one of the most attractive and best sounding computers Apple ever made.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    TAM=no superdrive. Supposedly, burning vertical is a lost cause.

No, the iMac will be a small design, under 3" tall, just small enough to fit under the new Alum displays.

Or a display of your choice.

Or something else.