Is there a free BackUp Utility out there for OS-X, maybe an opensource-ware

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I would like a simple backup uitility, and would be nice if it were free. Is there such a "free" software out there?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Many.

I use ditto on the command line for complete mirroring, and rsyncx (available online) for incremental backups. They're both hellaciously powerful, but without GUIs. rsyncx comes with RsyncX.app, a GUI to set up some of the more commonly used options, but it's not exactly user friendly, and you're much better off reading the documentation and using it directly, IMO.

OTOH, there are a handful of GUI based apps to do these sorts of things, although my experience with them is that they simply don't have the raw capability of ditto and rsyncx.

(Note - there is an rsync that ships with MacOS X, but it *cannot handle resource forks*. Silly, eh? rsyncx adds HFS+ support explicitly - work is underway to include this functionality in the base rsync distribution, but it's not there yet.)
  • Reply 2 of 4
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Some options are :

Carbon Copy Cloner

Silverkeeper (from Lacie)
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwri004

Some options are :

Carbon Copy Cloner

I use Carbon Copy Cloner myself - it's available at http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html. I recommend CCC because it uses ditto internally and is capable of making bootable backups.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    isilorisilor Posts: 10member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwri004

Some options are :

Carbon Copy Cloner

I've used both and still use Silverkeeper. Mostly as it's inteface is a bit easier to use (in my opinion at least). It doesn't like network drives very much though.