Canon XL2 Announced

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
XL2 supports 24P recording. No HiDef though

I don't know if this is the camera to make people go bonkers. The Panny 24P DVX100A model has been shipping for some time now. I guess that'll be the next comparison.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    The XL2 uses a 1/3 CCD that has a total of 680k Pixels. This has thrown a lot of people off because the competing Panny DVX100A has a 1/3 CCD with "only" 410K. At first glance it would see that Canon had surpassed the Panny in resolution by a whopping %66! Sadly that is not the case. Here is a great article about how Canon achieves excellent support for both 16x9 and 4x3 aspect ratios using this CCD.

Great job Chris!

The table lays everything out nicely. The new XL2 has an effective 460k pixel resolution. That coupled with Canon's excellent lenses should be enough to take the crown back from the Panny 100A model.

However, this is a big negative blow to HDV. Canon support would have really propelled the format forwared but now with Sony's model taking a while, Panny's disinterest and now Canon focusing on the XL2, HDV looks to be stunted in growth now.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I have a question: Can dv transfer to film? I think i read that HD could, but I am a rookie in video, the xl2's page claims that film makers want to use it - I always thought that movies and much of todays non-live HDTV was shot to film and telecined(sp?) into the editing/finishing systems and reverse telecined to film for movies or rendered out in 1080i for hd.

can one shoot to dv in sd and transfer to film without it looking like crap on the big screen?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

can one shoot to dv in sd and transfer to film without it looking like crap on the big screen?

watch 28 days later--thats about as good as you'll get going to film.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

I have a question: Can dv transfer to film? I think i read that HD could, but I am a rookie in video, the xl2's page claims that film makers want to use it - I always thought that movies and much of todays non-live HDTV was shot to film and telecined(sp?) into the editing/finishing systems and reverse telecined to film for movies or rendered out in 1080i for hd.

Yes people do that all the time if they want to pick up some film grain the hard way. But it's something that needs to be done with some spendy hardware most likely.

I can't wait to see the battle between the 24P Panny and the XL2
  • Reply 5 of 6
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Basicily, how can the xl1/1s/2 record a motion picture? and if it can, why cant say, the gl1/gl2?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Basicily, how can the xl1/1s/2 record a motion picture? and if it can, why cant say, the gl1/gl2?

You can. It's just that recording video on DV doesn't have the same color gamut that film or high end digital cameras have. It's noticeable in 28d days later and especially in the Spike Lee Joint "Bamboozled" where he uses DV and then switches to film for scenes. The films highly saturated color just pops off the screen.

But as always content is king. Video is much cheaper to shoot and edit.