Help: need wireless network with cable ISP

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have an iMac DV (OS 9.2) and will soon add an eMac 1.25GB. I have cable internet through Cox. I will want both Macs to share the internet service; the iMac will be moved to another room and will need a wireless connection. I also want both Macs to share a USB inkjet printer.

AirPort Express sounds like a good solution, but I am concerned about the fine print on Apple's AirPort Express pages: "Some ISPs are not currently compatible with AirPort Express." How can I find out whether it's compatible? I live in a small, rural town and I don't have access to an AirPort base station that I could borrow for trial-and-error. I've asked Cox, but I've gotten no help.

Based on what I've read searching through the forum, it sounds like I could get a 3rd party router cheaper than an AirPort Express station. Would it have the same potential compatibility problems with ISPs that AirPort has? Could any of you recommend a Mac-compatible router, especially one that would provide USB printer-access to both of my Macs.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    AirportExpress doesn't have any jacks for connecting computers to it via ethernet. It would only work for you if you set up all your computers to connect wirelessly. But if you can do that, and youu're not worried about not being able to plug another computer into the network by ethernet, then it should work nicely for you. It should make sharing the USB printer a breeze.

If you really want to be able to have a wired network as well, then look into the AirportBS, or look for a 3rd party wireless router with USB sharing. Or without USB sharing - you can always plug the printer into one of your Macs and enable printer sharing.

I wouldn't worry about your cable modem; when Apple talks about incompatible ISPs, they're usually talking about the dial-up kind - for a long while the AirportBS couldn't dial into AOL. But any router should work with any cable modem; one TCP/IP network is just like any other.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    karrickkarrick Posts: 17member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OneAfter909

... I've asked Cox, but I've gotten no help.

Based on what I've read searching through the forum, it sounds like I could get a 3rd party router cheaper than an AirPort Express station. Would it have the same potential compatibility problems with ISPs that AirPort has? Could any of you recommend a Mac-compatible router, especially one that would provide USB printer-access to both of my Macs.

Thanks!

I have used an Airport Extreme base station with COX cable internet for a long time with no problems. The only difficulty I had is when I bought a second APX to use on the road for a business trip. Yeah, I know that sounds extreme, no pun intended. The difficulties I had were due to telephone line problems. I've never had any difficulty with my APX talking to COX.

Also, there are two RJ45 jacks on each APX. One is for WAN access, in other words, your cable modem. The other is for LAN access, and can be connected to either a tradition $30 four-port router for many computers, or a single computer sitting next to the APX.

I hope this helps,

Karrick
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Thanks to both of you!