Red Cross believes we are hiding detainies

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In an AP article, the RC believes, based on missing people that are reported picked up by the FBI, that we are hiding prisoners.

We know of one such incident when Rumsfeld himself ordered a prisoner moved to keep them from the attention of the RC.

Quote:

Terror suspects reported by the FBI as captured have never turned up in detention centers, and the United States has failed to reply to agency demands for a list of everyone it's holding, said Antonella Notari, spokeswoman for the International Committee of the Red Cross.

"These people are, as far as we can tell, detained in locations that are undisclosed not only to us but also to the rest of the world," Notari told The Associated Press.

Quote:

In his report into allegations of abuse at Baghdad's Abu Ghraib prison, U.S. Army Maj. Gen. Antonio Taguba found that military police there had "routinely held persons brought to them by other government agencies without accounting for them, knowing their identities, or even the reason for their detention."

On at least one occasion, they moved these "ghost detainees" around the prison to hide them from a visiting Red Cross delegation, he added. He described the actions as "deceptive, contrary to Army Doctrine, and in violation of international law."

Under the Geneva Conventions, the United States is obliged to give the neutral, Swiss-run ICRC access to prisoners of war and other detainees to check on their conditions and allow them to send messages to their families

What if this is true?

Would it be Anti-American of me to care?

Would it be Anti-American of me to point out that this, coupled with prisoner abuse, some of which has lead to deaths, is strikingly similar to the 'dissapeared' of such tyranical dictatorships as Allende's Chile?

WHat can we call them? the 'Dissapeared' has allready been claimed by a murderous tyrany so we souldn't want to use a term with such a connotation.

Should we just assume that the US has made good choices and that all of the 'dissapeared' are murderous 'terrorists'? . . . forgetting completely "innocent until proven guilty"?

But of course none of this is as bad as I say . . . right? . . . I hope not . . .

But, just in case, I'll contextualize this by showing how possible arrests and tortures can be done wrong, -read this article: Interrogation Unbound --NYTimes so you can log in as applinsider I believe.

The source for the RC story: here -may need to go through a FLASh movie.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I give this thread a new chance. I splitted the thread. I hope this one, will not derail.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    That Interrogation Unbound is some pretty stomach-churning stuff.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    I don't see why this is so shocking. Bush, afterall, is a man who has illegally killed over 10,000 Iraqi civilians and thousands of american citizens with his environmental policies.

Bush is the ultimate ends-justify-the-means kind of guy. This news shouldn't be shocking, it should be expected.