Future SuperDrives

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What do you guys think we can expect from SuperDrives in future system revisions?

By the time I buy a PowerMac i'd like it to include a 16x, dual layer DVD-RW SuperDrive, but i think i may be expecting too much.

Parhaps a 16x single layer drive?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Maffrew

What do you guys think we can expect from SuperDrives in future system revisions?

By the time I buy a PowerMac i'd like it to include a 16x, dual layer DVD-RW SuperDrive, but i think i may be expecting too much.

Parhaps a 16x single layer drive?

I expect to see 16x Single layer

and eventually 5x DL speeds with better compatibility.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    If your waiting to 16X burn speeds on dual layer before you buy your next PowerMac your not going to be buying a PowerMac within the next 5 years at the least.

Actual burn speeds on Dual layer Discs is only 2.3x I think. They advertise these as 8X, and 12x Dual Layer DVD burners, but they don't emphasize that the actual Dual layer Speeds are super slow. It's only at the speed of the original Superdrive from way back when. The 8, or 12x speed they refer to is for single layer discs, but they don't tell you that in the press releases, or news articles most of the time.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    maffrewmaffrew Posts: 166member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

If your waiting to 16X burn speeds on dual layer before you buy your next PowerMac your not going to be buying a PowerMac within the next 5 years at the least.

Actual burn speeds on Dual layer Discs is only 2.3x I think. They advertise these as 8X, and 12x Dual Layer DVD burners, but they don't emphasize that the actual Dual layer Speeds are super slow. It's only at the speed of the original Superdrive from way back when. The 8, or 12x speed they refer to is for single layer discs, but they don't tell you that in the press releases, or news articles most of the time.

Aha, thanks for that info. Feel like a right ignorant git now, lol.

16x single layer would be perfectly fine, faster disc burning is always welcome.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Not to mention these media fools are trying to charge $15+ for a DL disc

If you need to ship a product that spans 2 discs it'll still be cheaper to just put two discs in a dual dvd case.

I agree 16x is cool with me.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Pioneer's first DL offering will burn DL DVD-R at 4x, I'm told, faster than the 2.4x with the current DVD+Rs. If you think 16x DL DVD-R is 5 years off, then you have low expectations.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Pioneer's first DL offering will burn DL DVD-R at 4x, I'm told, faster than the 2.4x with the current DVD+Rs. If you think 16x DL DVD-R is 5 years off, then you have low expectations.

In 5 years I expect to have a Blu Ray recorder in my Powermac. Playing back my edited HD content in AVC 1080P 24 format.

Anthing less would be uncivilized.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I do have low expectations because I don't like to get my hopes up too high about anything. It's not hard to figure out why. I've been a Mac user, and Apple insider member for many years. Now - Go Figure.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    The Pioneer A08 has 16X for single-layer and 4X for double-layer. I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple use this drive next year.

A problem is the lack of 16x DVD-R media.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10114
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

The Pioneer A08 has 16X for single-layer and 4X for double-layer. I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple use this drive next year.

A problem is the lack of 16x DVD-R media.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10114

Yes It's very likely that Apple uses this for their next Superdrive. I wonder if it's going to come in a SATA version.

I'm very happy to see how quickly DVD burning has taken off. With the low cost of DVD Players and tools like iMovie and iDVD, the future looks bright for home multimedia.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    I found a similar article on that drive recently, and it was quite educational. I had no idea that the drives wrote each layer at different speeds until then. So when I said that writing 16X on a dual Layer disc I was way off, but 16X on the second layer may even be closer than I had thought. It looks like Pioneer is leading the way again. It's too bad I just bought a DVR-107. I should have waited and got that DVR-108XL. Although it's coming in at a little over $90 more than what I paid for my DVR-107 I think it's worth it. I would not be surprised if Apple offered it as a BTO second superdrive option at the Apple store or just did a silent announcement of adding it to the new PowerMacs when it's released.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    I won't get too excited about DL recording until

1. Speed improves. The new Pioneers are a step in the right direction.

2. Media costs and availability of DL improves

3. Compatibility of DL media improves to > %90

Eventually that'll happen but until then I am most pleased about 16x recording.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I won't get too excited about DL recording until

3. Compatibility of DL media improves to > %90

Why do you say that? Is there a home DVD player compatibility issue with burnable Dual Layer DVD media?
  • Reply 13 of 13
    tombtomb Posts: 29member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Why do you say that? Is there a home DVD player compatibility issue with burnable Dual Layer DVD media?

Well, if you look at the listing for the Verbatim 94912 Dual Layer 8.5GB 2.4X Speed DVD+R DL DataLifePlus, and scroll down a bit, you'll find;

Quote:

PLAYER COMPATIBILITY -- Drives are currently made to write these discs as "DVD+R DL" type discs. This book type is not playable on most DVD players. At present, DVD players generally recognize only DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, or DVD+RW book type discs. Inserting a "DVD+R DL" type disc into these players will cause a "No Disc" or "Illegal Disc" error. Until drive firmware is released to change the type of a recorded DL disc to "DVD-ROM" from your DL capable burner's manufacturer, you should plan to play all DL 8.5gb DVD+R discs on dual layer capable computer drive DVD writers only.

So, yes. I'd say there is an issue with home DVD player compatibility. It doesn't work would be a fair statement. How long it takes to correct this huge issue is anyone's guess. So, spend $20 bucks a disc to have a DL DVD that can only be used on a Dual Layer Capable Computer drive DVD Writer, beautiful.....

I'll wait