SPECint

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm not surprised SPECint was omitted. It's pretty irrelevent these days. SPECint is a single-threaded test that performs faster WITHOUT SMT. Unless you're doing some serious fixed-point math, or have a task that needs to be done fast but cannot be parallelized at ALL, there's no reason to consider SPECint.

Most scientific computing is floating point, where the Power5 shines, and most database work is highly separable and transactional, where the Power5 shines.

So I, for one, am glad they focused on practical performance rather than chasing particular benchmarks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Good point Booga.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Booga

I'm not surprised SPECint was omitted.

Omitted from what?

Quote:

It's pretty irrelevent these days.

What an odd opinion.

Quote:

Most scientific computing is floating point, where the Power5 shines, and most database work is highly separable and transactional, where the Power5 shines.

How do you know that the Power5 shines in this?

Quote:

So I, for one, am glad they focused on practical performance rather than chasing particular benchmarks.

Who? And SPEC is a benchmark... m.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Probably meant to reply to another thread instead of creating a new one...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Booga reffered to the SMT thread, where some impressive benchmarks of the power 5 where displayed. Spec Int where none of this benchmark IMO. Booga did not want to derail this thread, thus a create this one.

BTW this thread belong to general discussion : moving it here.