My first eviction!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well I guess there is a first time for everything. I've been landlording for six years now and a little over a week ago, I began my first eviction.

Anyone who doesn't think tenants have any rights has obviously never attempt an eviction or even looked much at the process. It will take about a month to complete and any mistake with regard to serving, process, unknown occupants, anything can start the whole process over.

It will be interesting.

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Try being a landlord in NYC. I know a guy who has been trying to get a deadbeat tenant out for over two years. The landlord in question is a good guy. He thinks of his building as a community and has helped a lot of people get established in the city over the years (including the tenant in question). The tenant has gone as long as 7 months without paying any rent and is, as far as I know, 13 months in arrears thanks to all the rent checks he has bounced. Even after the tenant punched the landlord in the face and called him a "moneygrubbing fucking kike" (the landlord got a restraining order after that episode) the guy still lives in his building.

On the other hand, being a tenant in NYC is often no picnic either. The number of scumbag landlord stories I've heard must be twenty times as long as the number of scumbag tenants.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    My mother was a property manager for years. Every once in a while she had to go to court for an eviction. Her company had full time lawyers to deal with this stuff but she was always very nervous about going to court.

In Chicago we had a budding rap star in our building. Everyone in the building was calling the landlord to complain. The landlord said he's talk to him but couldn't kick him out. It was the dead of winter and the courts just wont sign an eviction notice in the dead of winter.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

Try being a landlord in NYC. I know a guy who has been trying to get a deadbeat tenant out for over two years. The landlord in question is a good guy. He thinks of his building as a community and has helped a lot of people get established in the city over the years (including the tenant in question). The tenant has gone as long as 7 months without paying any rent and is, as far as I know, 13 months in arrears thanks to all the rent checks he has bounced. Even after the tenant punched the landlord in the face and called him a "moneygrubbing fucking kike" (the landlord got a restraining order after that episode) the guy still lives in his building.

On the other hand, being a tenant in NYC is often no picnic either. The number of scumbag landlord stories I've heard must be twenty times as long as the number of scumbag tenants.

my father (a landlord) can share similar stories. it's a disaster. thank god he's selling the place this month
  • Reply 4 of 12
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Here in Chicago, if you sign a 12 month lease but the building owner sells the next day, the new owner can give you 60 days notice even though you have a signed contract.

It sucks for renters.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    In France, evictions are a very difficult issue, for Landlords. It's becoming nearly impossible to evict someone. As a result, landording do not interest much people, and when they do it, they take tons of warranties.

Too much protections for renter, may appear fine, but have backwards effects, and kill the market of renting.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Nick: If it makes you feel any better, I've had to fire several people this week (long-time contractual employees who have not been asked back).
  • Reply 7 of 12
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Anyone who doesn't think tenants have any rights has obviously never attempt an eviction or even looked much at the process. It will take about a month to complete and any mistake with regard to serving, process, unknown occupants, anything can start the whole process over.

It will be interesting.

Good luck, and God speed boss-man!
  • Reply 8 of 12
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Nick: If it makes you feel any better, I've had to fire several people this week (long-time contractual employees who have not been asked back).

Well I don't feel bad about it. I did my best for the guy. He has just actually forced me beyond even losing some money and being a nice guy. He's forced me to the point where I have spend even more money to insure the crowd he has started running without wouldn't attempt to keep the apartment without paying for several months. We've already burned throw his security deposit as a month's rent. That means I'm out this month's rent plus clean up after he moves plus the cost of eviction.

That is $850+$300+$430. Basically enough money to buy a nice loaded iBook just because I tried to let this guy get back on his feet and instead he brought in a bunch of garbage and baggage.

Nick
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Just as an update, this eviction finished up with the lock out today.

I had never done a lock out and it was quite an interesting experience. I had to wait off the property while the Sheriff took the key, unlocked the door, (Required a little force since this idiot had stuck small twigs into the locks) checked the unit for people, guns, drugs or whatever and then turned possession of it over to me.

I walk in and nothing truly horrible. No pissed on carpet or anything like that. But the guy must be extremely delusional as he had not packed nor moved a single item. This was true regardless of the fact that he was given notice about the eviction, served the results and impending lock out by a Sheriff, and now has seen that lock out occur. No messages on my cell phone asking about when he can get his stuff, nothing.

Weird...

Nick
  • Reply 10 of 12
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    why is he getting evicted? doesn't pay?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

why is he getting evicted? doesn't pay?

He stopped paying rent about 40 or so days ago. The last time I received rent from his was for June.

Nick