help optimise my internet connection

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi

I have just got a second hand Ibook, 366, 128 meg ram, 10 gig HD , OS 9.2.1 installed...

All is well except online it's a dog... some pages load quickly.. others won't load at all...

Can some one advise what are the best settings and which browser is best to use with this type of mac..

Thanks

Steve

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Put more RAM into it.

For a broswer, you basically have three choices: IE, Opera, and Mozilla. Opera will likely be the fastest at loading pages.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    any software that can test / tune a internet connection for a mac????

Steve
  • Reply 3 of 6
    kwsn_hgskwsn_hgs Posts: 23member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stevelcqld

any software that can test / tune a internet connection for a mac????

Steve

not that I know of... there are generic internet connection test sites -- they give you ways to tweek your PC though, haven't found one that deals with Mac.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by KWSN_hgs

not that I know of... there are generic internet connection test sites -- they give you ways to tweek your PC though, haven't found one that deals with Mac.

It really is a TCP/IP thing with a Mac, and they do it about as well as it can be done. If you have a fast connecion, (uh Yeah) on dialup say around 48kbps you are doing what you can do to optimize your connection. The phone company will not stand behind data speeds on analog phone lines, so find all the dialup numbers for your ISP and try them all, watch what you get. Quit calling the numbers that suck.

There are a few other factors. It could be the ISP's modem slowing you even when you think it should not. Try a new connection. It could be server side slowness, so pack a lunch there. Try your ISP's accellerated dialup, it can help speed you up noticibly. As mentioned there are several different browsers, IE is a memory hogging pig that renders things sometime after 27 pop up windows bury the screen in crap, right? After slogging through that you just will want to die or go kill something so stay away from machinery, weapons, and other sharp objects. Use it when You need to see Flash or Javascript and nothing else will work, (some Javascript will make a Mac want to take a dirt road btw...) Instead switch to Opera, it is way faster. Upgrade to OSX and try Safari, you won't be sorry there and by all means Ram needs in the real world right now are 512k minimum or the computer will not multitask at all. Above all learn patience, practice meditation and Good Luck
  • Reply 5 of 6
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    512k of RAM? Minimum?! That's absurd. No one needs 512k! How decadent of you to suggest.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    kwsn_hgskwsn_hgs Posts: 23member
    I thot we got up to 640k... and nobody would need that much. ever.