Flat panel HDTV modification in the future?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The new flat panel screens are incredible, so incredible and relatively cheap I'd love to use one as a TV in my bedroom. Do you think Apple (or a 3rd party) will release a compatible HDTV tuner? Lots of current flat screen TV's utilize a separate unit for the tuner capabilities. The idea is so obvious, and profitable that I find it hard to believe that it's not in the works.

What do you think? Do you all see the value?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    You mean like This
  • Reply 2 of 40
    3.14163.1416 Posts: 120member
    Ditto on the EyeTV 500. Mine arrived this morning, and I didn't have time to play with it too much, but it picks up 19 ATSC channels with a cheap antenna and the HD feed from PBS looks fantastic on my 23" ACD.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by 3.1416

Ditto on the EyeTV 500. Mine arrived this morning, and I didn't have time to play with it too much, but it picks up 19 ATSC channels with a cheap antenna and the HD feed from PBS looks fantastic on my 23" ACD.

Sweet 3.1416 or should I call you "pi"?

I didn't know they were shipping them so fast. It's possible that El Gato may end up having a model someday with Cable Cards so that even premium channels will be watchable. But Hell I'll take OTA 19 HDTV channels today.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

You mean like This

Actually I'd prefer to not waste a mac on it. It really seems like with the design of the flat panels that apple could make a killing if they were also marketed as TVs
  • Reply 5 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by willcurrie

Actually I'd prefer to not waste a mac on it. It really seems like with the design of the flat panels that apple could make a killing if they were also marketed as TVs

That increases the price substantially. Where as you have the G4/5 doing the heavy lifting with the El Gato piece. If you have a seperate tuner in the LCD you now have to provide the horsepower to run it. Most ATSC Tuner boxes are $500+ because of this processing need.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    with the el gato 500 ... do you plug in your normal cable wire, and it picks up any ATSC [free?] signals?
  • Reply 7 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by badtz

with the el gato 500 ... do you plug in your normal cable wire, and it picks up any ATSC [free?] signals?

Atenna input goes to the back of the unit and a FW cable hooks into the Mac for processing and display.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    3.14163.1416 Posts: 120member
    Quote:

Sweet 3.1416 or should I call you "pi"?

Nah, I'm more rational than that I ordered it on July 5th right before their Macworld promo ended, which was apparently a good idea because their site says they're heavily backordered and new orders won't ship until the end of August.

Quote:

You plug in a regular VHF/UHF antenna feed. I'm in an apartment and just have cheap rabbit ears from Radio Shack so I was worried about reception, but no problems so far. I'll have a better idea when I play with it more tonight, and I'll also see how well it interacts with my EyeTV USB which I still need for cable channels.

One potential problem is that I've heard that the EyeTV obeys the HDTV "broadcast flag", which is a signal broadcasters insert into the program to tell devices they aren't allowed to record it. It's another of Hollywood's attempts to eliminate timeshifting and other fair use; see http://www.eff.org/broadcastflag/ for more info. If EyeTV does honor the broadcast flag (and I have no idea why Elgato would do that), it may become vastly less useful next year.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

That increases the price substantially. Where as you have the G4/5 doing the heavy lifting with the El Gato piece. If you have a seperate tuner in the LCD you now have to provide the horsepower to run it. Most ATSC Tuner boxes are $500+ because of this processing need.

I paid about $400 for my Samsung, but your point is taken.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    are the HDTV channels coming from the VHF/UHF antenna? Or is there another antenna that's needed to go intothe EyeTV 500?
  • Reply 11 of 40
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Most HDTV tuners have DVI outputs; hopefully you could connect that directly to a Cinema Display -- no Mac needed.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

are the HDTV channels coming from the VHF/UHF antenna? Or is there another antenna that's needed to go intothe EyeTV 500?

Plain old UHF/VHF antenna like a Channel Master or Winegard. You could even use those loops and bow-ties from Radio Shack if you live in the middle of the city.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Plain old UHF/VHF antenna like a Channel Master or Winegard. You could even use those loops and bow-ties from Radio Shack if you live in the middle of the city.

they have the bandwidth for HDTV?

didn't know.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Quote:

they have the bandwidth for HDTV?

didn't know.

It's an antenna, for God's sake. Antennae are passive rods or lengths of wire. For the most part, they are not sophisticated microelectronic devices. The best antennae are tuned to particular wavelengths with narrow bandwidths. HDTV (ATSC) is broadcast over the same television channels as NTSC broadcasts. HTSC and ATSC channels are all 6 MHz in bandwidth. The major difference are that the content in HDTV broadcasts is compressed digital data whereas NTSC content is uncompressed analog data. HDTV broadcast signals are two signals 90° out of phase with each other, aka quadrature amplitude modulation.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Quote:

I don't want the tuner in the screen... I'd just like apple to sell a "box" that turns the monitor into a TV. 500 bucks... sounds good to me.

Has anyone ever plugged a DVI monitor into an HDTV box before? What happens? Does it work?
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

It's an antenna, for God's sake. Antennae are passive rods or lengths of wire. For the most part, they are not sophisticated microelectronic devices. The best antennae are tuned to particular wavelengths with narrow bandwidths. HDTV (ATSC) is broadcast over the same television channels as NTSC broadcasts. HTSC and ATSC channels are all 6 MHz in bandwidth. The major difference are that the content in HDTV broadcasts is compressed digital data whereas NTSC content is uncompressed analog data. HDTV broadcast signals are two signals 90° out of phase with each other, aka quadrature amplitude modulation.

Thanks, for god's sake.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Quote:

Thanks, for god's sake.

You're welcome, for God's sake!
  • Reply 18 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by 3.1416

One potential problem is that I've heard that the EyeTV obeys the HDTV "broadcast flag", which is a signal broadcasters insert into the program to tell devices they aren't allowed to record it. It's another of Hollywood's attempts to eliminate timeshifting and other fair use; see http://www.eff.org/broadcastflag/ for more info. If EyeTV does honor the broadcast flag (and I have no idea why Elgato would do that), it may become vastly less useful next year.

I emailed el gato and here's what they said

Quote:

Thank you for contacting Elgato Systems.

Currently, neither the EyeTV 500 hardware or software supports any broadcast flag.

In the future, when such support is required by law, then we will add it to any new Digital TV products.

The legislation mandating a flag is currently ambiguous as to whether products that pre-date the flag need to be updated to respect it. That said, it appears now that current EyeTV 500's will still function as they do in the present.

• Reply 19 of 40
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

HDTV broadcast signals are two signals 90° out of phase with each other, aka quadrature amplitude modulation.

Actually, it's the cable companies that use QAM. HDTV over-the-air is transmitted using 8VSB.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Actually, it's the cable companies that use QAM. HDTV over-the-air is transmitted using 8VSB.

I stand corrected.